Haas performing at MerleFest in Wilkes County, North Carolina, in 2011.
|Origin||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Associated acts||Crooked Still, Natalie Haas, Republic of Strings, Haas Marshall Walsh (trio)|
Brittany Haas is an American fiddle player, who also sometimes sings and plays the banjo. She is maybe best known as a member of the Boston-based alternative bluegrass band, Crooked Still, which is currently on hiatus. She is a regular performer on Live From Here. She tours with the Haas Marshall Walsh and Haas Kowert Tice trios, and participates in many international fiddlecamps, including the Ossipee Valley Music Festival. As of 2018, she is a member of Hawktail, which includes Kowert and Tice, as well as mandolinist Dominic Leslie.
Haas grew up in Menlo Park California. At the age of eight, her violin teacher gave her some bluegrass sheet music to practice sight reading. For the next five years she took both classical violin and bluegrass fiddle lessons. When she heard Bruce Molsky she recalls “I was like, ‘That’s what I want to do.’ ” . At 13 years of age, she switched to the fiddle.
- In 2001, when Haas was 14, she toured with Darol Anger's Republic of Strings.
- In 2004, she released her debut, self-titled solo album (produced by Anger on Ook). It included guest musicians Bruce Molsky, Darol Anger, Todd Sickafoose, Mike Marshall, and her sister, cellist Natalie Haas.
- 2005-2009 while at Princeton join the “chamber grass” band Crooked Still, with whom she has made four recordings and toured the world.
- Haas graduated from Princeton University in 2009 with a degree in Evolutionary Biology and a minor in Music Performance. She was a member of the Princeton University Band.
- Haas, Sierra Hull (mandolin), Alison Brown (banjo), Todd Philips (bass), Andy Hall (Dobro), Matt Wingate (guitar) were members of the Porchlight Band, the house band for the bluegrass documentary Porchlight Sessions (cira 2011).
- In 2015 she and Lauren Rioux recorded a video together on the Roots Channel and often join other groups.
- Haas went on tour as part of the band Dave Rawlings Machine, in support of their album Nashville Obsolete. Haas appeared on multiple tracks as a guest performer. The tour started in November 2015 and continued through April 2016.
- From 2003 - current, Haas performs with the Haas Kowert Tice trio, with Paul Kowert on bass and Jordan Tice on guitar.
- Haas appeared on the David Rawlings' Band Acony Records release Poor David's Almanack
- Brittany Haas (2004)
With Crooked Still
With The Fundies
- The Fundies - EP (2012)
With Hass Kowert Tice Trio
- You Got This (2014)
With Dave Rawlings Machine
- Nashville Obsolete (2015)
- ’’ Unless’’ (2018)
- 19 November 2008. "Fiddling away". Princeton Alumni Weekly. Princeton University. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Grant Alden; Peter Blackstock (1 October 2008). No Depression # 76: The Next Generation. University of Texas Press. pp. 68–. ISBN 978-0-292-71928-6.
- Sierra Hull and Porchlight Sessions
- Live From The Empty Sea:Brittany Haas & Lauren Rioux
- Nashville Obsolete Tour Dates Announced