|Headquarters||Changsha, Hunan, China|
|Zhang Yue (Chairman & CEO)|
|Revenue||900 million USD (2007)|
|Subsidiaries||Broad Air Conditioning|
Broad Group is a private manufacturer of central air conditioning non-electric absorption chillers that are powered by natural gas and waste heat based in Changsha, China. It is also the parent company of Broad Sustainable Building, a prefab building company. The company was established in 1996 and exports products to over 60 countries. It was Shanghai Expo 2010's only global official partner that was a Chinese private enterprise and the exclusive supplier of central air conditioning, ventilation and air purification products for the event.
Broad is one of the few Chinese manufacturing companies that has been widely recognized for its green policies and commitment to countering climate change. It has expanded its business in recent years to include other energy saving products and sustainable buildings through its subsidiary Broad Sustainable Building, and achieved the feat of building a 15-story tall hotel in 6 days, which received 2 million views in the first 10 days after being released on YouTube. More recently, the firm succeeded in erecting a 30-story hotel in 15 days.
- 1 History
- 2 Innovations
- 3 Environmental record
- 4 References
- 5 External links
1988–1992: The early years
Zhang Yue founded Broad in 1988, registering the company in Chenzhou, Hunan province. Using $3000, Broad developed industrial boilers based on Zhang's patented design. At the time, most domestically manufactured boilers were of poor quality and had high risk of exploding, while Broad's did not.
1992–2005: Move to Changsha and rise
In 1992, the company was moved to Changsha and began manufacturing absorption chillers. At the time, government provided incentives for non-electric chillers to relieve strain on the national electricity grid, contributing to the company's rise as it became the global leader in absorption chiller by sales in 1996; it entered the international market in 1998 and today, its sales in domestic and international markets split evenly.
2005-Present: From manufacturing to sustainable construction
While absorption chillers remain Broad's largest source of revenue, it now offers other environmentally friendly products including air purifiers and air conditioner terminals, with the BSB (Broad Sustainable Building) its latest invention in sustainable building technology, receiving more attention.
2012- Sky City One - aim to build 220 floor tower in record time
BSB, the building construction subsidiary of Broad group, announced plans to build Sky City One, the world's tallest tower with a height of 838m. The announcement made headlines not only for the size of the tower, but also for an audacious construction plan that involved completion in just 90 days.
In 2015, BSB built a 57-storey Mini Sky City that stands at a height of 204m. The construction of the tower took just 19 days. Tower was built using pre-manufactured steel modules which are also going to be used in construction of the Sky City One.
Invented in 2009, the BSB achieves high energy efficiency and carbon reduction primarily through thermal insulation, preventing cool air from leaving indoors and hot air from coming in from outdoors when the weather is hot and vice versa when the weather is cold, and requires short construction time since parts are pre-fabricated in factories and assembled onsite. In the 2010 United Nations Climate Change Conference, President of Mexico, Felipe Calderón, commented the BSB technology to be a practical, imaginative, creative & bold endeavor and a new revolution of world's architectural and housing industry, which is bound to be transferred to developing countries leading to reduction in carbon emissions. BSB has also been tested to be able to resist a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and was recommended in a United Nations Environment Program report on the rebuilding of Sichuan after its catastrophic earthquake in 2008
Broad Sustainable Building
So far, Broad has built 4 demos of BSB, including: the 6-story Broad Pavilion in Shanghai Expo 2010 in 1 day, the 14-story New Ark's Hotel in Broad's headquarters in 6 days, the Broad Pavilion in 2010 United Nations Climate Change Conference in 8 days  and a 30-story hotel prototype near Dongting lake in 15 days.
In May, 2011, Broad's founder and chairman, Zhang Yue, was awarded the Champions of the Earth Award (Entrepreneurial Vision Category) by the United Nations Environment Programme for Broad's commitment to climate change. It was one of the ten companies to be recognized by the BusinessWeek Greener China Business Awards in 2009. It was also named one of the "20 Most Admired Companies in China" in 2001, ’02, ’04, and ’05 by China's Economic Observer and Peking University.
Refusing to invest in electric chiller market
In 2000, amid temporary company sales drop, and huge demands for cooling equipment of all kinds in China, Zhang was urged to enter the much larger market for electric air conditioners. Zhang refused citing that after successfully challenging himself to create wealth when the company was started, his current only motive was to "save energy and reduce greenhouse emissions.". A Carnegie Council article cited a 2004 Peking University–Richard Ivey School of Business case study on Zhang's decision and reports "the authors argue that Broad would likely have gained "a significant market share" and earned "10 times" its production cost in this product area—but in doing so it would not have been able to "stay true to the company's environmental protection principles.'" 
- KPMG (2008). "Changsha Investment Environment Study" (PDF).
- "Champions of the Earth Official Site". UNEP. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "NATIONS: The sayings of Chairman Zhang, a clean-tech entrepreneur's life in China". E&E Publishing LLC. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Video: China builds 15-story hotel in six days Read more: Video: China builds 15-storey hotel in six days | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai/life/build-hotel-six-days-china-it-can-and-has-been-done-673433#ixzz1SiuR5nHi". CNN. Retrieved 21 July 2011. External link in
- "Company Summary". Broad. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- Haffner, John. "Zhang Yue: A Call for Discipline in a World Out of Control". Carnegie Council. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- 800 meters in 6 months
- "Building China" (PDF). UNEP. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Speech Delivered by Mexican President Felipe Calderón at COP16 BROAD Pavilion (excerpt)" (PDF). Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "Broad Pavilion Built under 24 hours". Phoenix Television. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Location of T30 hotel".
- 30-story building built in 15 days
- "Businessweek Greener China Award". Businessweek. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- Fallow, James. "Mr. Zhang Builds His Dream Town" (PDF). Atlantic Online. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "The Climate Group Official Website". The Climate Group. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Official Site
- Official Site in USA
- The Broad Group's Broad Town of Innovations
- Sky City on Skyscraper Page
- Broad Sky City One- 838m tall tower with 200 floors
- Broad Pavilion Shanghai Expo
- T30A TOWER HOTEL technical briefing
- Life Attitude of an Earth Citizen