Broad Street Run
The Blue Cross Broad Street Run, which has taken place in Philadelphia on the first Sunday in May since the early 1980s, is the largest (40,689 runners in 2012) 10-mile road race in the United States.
The race starts at T.S. Park, in the Logan neighborhood, on the front lawn of historic Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia and at the athletic fields at Central High School. The course stretches south along Broad Street. Runners pass Temple University, Roman Catholic High School for Boys, City Hall, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and the Kimmel Center. The race finishes at the Navy Yard in South Philadelphia. Due in part to its nearly flat (actually slightly downhill) route, it has become a favorite in the running community for those working to establish personal best times. All finishers receive a medal.
The race was first run in 1980 with 1454 men and 122 women finishing. In that year and in 1981, participants ran straight through the courtyard of City Hall; since then, runners are diverted around the building.
Until 1989, the race ended with a lap around the field at JFK Stadium in South Philadelphia. After the stadium was condemned and demolished, the finish moved to FDR Park (on the other side of Broad Street), and then to the Navy Yard, about a quarter mile beyond the front gates.
Participation rose steadily through the 1990s and exploded by the mid-2000s. Since 2013, registration of single runners (though not teams) has been handled by lottery, with about 40,000 entrants, and roughly 35,000 runners finishing the race, the majority of them women.
- Open Male: Patrick Cheruiyot, 45:14, 2007
- Open Female: Catherine Ndereba, 53:07, 1999
- Master Male: Andrey Kuznetsov, 50:13, 2002
- Master Female: Sandra Mewett, 57:56, 1992
- Open Wheelchair Male: Tony Nogueira, 32:05, 2007
- Open Wheelchair Female: Jessica Galli, 35:59, 2001
- Master Wheelchair Male: Tony Nogueira, 33:52, 2008
- Master Wheelchair Female: Jacqui Kapinowski, 49:19, 2008
==Past winners== Big Joe Key: Course record
|Edition||Year||Men's winner||Time (h:m:s)||Women's winner||Time (h:m:s)|
|18th||1997||John Mwai (KEN)||47:42||Elaine Van Blunk (USA)||54:45|
|19th||1998||John Mwai (KEN)||48:44||Teresa Wanjiku (KEN)||57:13|
|20th||1999||Elijah Kitur (KEN)||47:41||Catherine Ndereba (KEN)||53:07|
|21st||2000||Ben Kimondiu (KEN)||49:52||Anastasia Ndereba (KEN)||57:10|
|22nd||2001||Ronald Mogaka (KEN)||46:48||Misti Demko (USA)||55:14|
|23rd||2002||Simon Wangai (KEN)||45:16||Cassie Byrne (USA)||55:25|
|24th||2003||Simon Wangai (KEN)||45:19||Kate Fonshell (USA)||56:41|
|25th||2004||Julius Kibet (KEN)||48:07||Maria Buseinei (KEN)||57:32|
|26th||2005||John Itati (KEN)||47:59||Marina Ivanova (RUS)||55:37|
|27th||2006||Nathan Kosgei (KEN)||48:18||Olga Romanova (RUS)||53:21|
|28th||2007||Patrick Cheruiyot (KEN)||45:14||Naomi Wangui (KEN)||53:43|
|29th||2008||Philip Koech (KEN)||46:23||Jane Murage (KEN)||54:16|
|30th||2009||Linus Maiyo (KEN)||47:19||Jane Murage (KEN)||53:29|
|31st||2010||Alene Reta (ETH)||48:10||Bizunesh Deba (ETH)||55:13|
|32nd||2011||Ketema Nigusse (ETH)||46:29||Malika Mejdoub (MAR)||55:40|
|33rd||2012||Henry Kiplagat Rutto (KEN)||47:06||Esther Erb (USA)||55:28|
|34th ||2013||Ayele Feisha (KEN)||47:03||Askale Merachi (ETH)||53:46|
|35th||2014||Mourad Marofit (MAR)||47:06||Bertukan Germame (ETH)||55:25|
|36th||2015||Haile Mengesha (ETH)||47:54||Tigist Jabore (ETH)||53:34|
|37th||2016||Abebe Mekuria (ETH)||48:43||Crystal Burnick (USA)||57:07|
|38th||2017||Dominic Korir (KEN)||47:38||Askale Merachi (ETH)||53:49|
|39th||2018||Daniel Kemoi (KEN)||45:43||Sophy Jepchirchir (USA)||55:43|
|40th||2019||Daniel Kemoi (KEN)||47:20||Susan Jerotich (KEN)||54:47|
- 1998 - Richard Lagocki, 45, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 2007 - Robert A. Massaroni, 29, Holland, Pennsylvania, was a 7th grade Social Studies teacher at Shafer Middle School in Bensalem, Pennsylvania.
- 2019 - Brian Smart, 25, Hatboro, Pennsylvania
- Beautiful Weather Makes For A Perfect Day For The Annual Broad Street Run. CBS Philly (May 1, 2011). Retrieved on 2012-1-10.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2008-12-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Blue Cross Broad Street Run".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-12-29. Retrieved 2008-12-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Fleischman, Bill (1999-05-03). Kitur Outduels His Kenyan Teammate. Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved on 2011-10-13.
- This year, Broad Street Run was more than just a race. Retrieved on 2013-07-23.
- Kenyan wins Broad Street Run. AP (May 3, 1998). Retrieved on 2011-10-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Broad Street Run.|