Broadcast (Cutting Crew album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Standard vinyl edition
|Studio album by Cutting Crew|
|Released||22 November 1986 (30 July 1987 - USA Release)|
|Recorded||February - July 1986|
|Cutting Crew chronology|
Broadcast is the debut studio album by the English rock band Cutting Crew. It was released on 22 November 1986 (30 July 1987 in the USA) in Europe with different packaging eight months before it was released in the United States. For the American version, four tracks were remixed ("Any Colour", "One for the Mockingbird", "I've Been in Love Before" and "(I Just) Died in Your Arms"), all of which were the singles from the album. The current American CD in print is the European version but with the American packaging. It was the first album to be released in the United States by Virgin Records' new American imprint, Virgin Records America.
- All Songs Copyright Control.
- "Any Colour" (Nick Van Eede; Kevin Scott MacMichael) – 4:57
- "One for the Mockingbird" (Van Eede) – 4:23
- "I've Been in Love Before" (Van Eede) – 5:29
- "Life in a Dangerous Time" (Van Eede) – 4:34
- "Fear of Falling" (Van Eede; MacMichael) – 4:50
- "(I Just) Died in Your Arms" (Van Eede) – 4:39
- "Don't Look Back" (Van Eede; MacMichael) – 4:12
- "Sahara" (Steve Boorer; Van Eede) – 4:49
- "It Shouldn't Take Too Long" (Van Eede; MacMichael; Colin Farley; Martin Beedle; Mac Norman) – 4:05
- "The Broadcast" (Van Eede; Chris Townsend) – 6:33
Track listing - Remastered & Expanded Version
- Any Colour (USA Mix) - 4:58
- One for the Mockingbird (USA Mix) - 4:27
- I've Been in Love Before - 5:32
- Life in a Dangerous Time - 4:36
- Fear of Falling - 4:55
- (I Just) Died in Your Arms (USA Mix) - 4:46
- Don't Look Back - 4:11
- Sahara - 4:52
- It Shouldn't Take Too Long - 4:05
- The Broadcast - 6:39
- (I Just) Died in Your Arms (12" Mix) - 6:46
- I've Been in Love Before (Live in London) - 5:16
- The Broadcast/Any Colour (Live in the USA) - 8:03
- For the Longest Time (Orig. 'Died in Your Arms' 7 B-Side) - 4:29
Extended 12" Mixes
In addition to the 12" mix of "(I just) died in your arms", the following extended 12" versions were originally released:
- One for the Mocking-Bird (Extended Remix) 6:24
- I've Been in Love Before (Extended) 6:10
- Any Colour (Remix) 7:10
The former can be found on the "One for the Mocking Bird" Maxi CD, while the latter was only available on 12" vinyl.
In a retrospective review, Michael Sutton of AllMusic gave the album four stars. He said the album "never deserved the hacking [it] received from critics," and said that "the slick guitar rock on Broadcast may not have wowed the rock & roll intelligentsia, but it's a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, an underrated collection of simple, heartfelt love songs and up-tempo pop that reside between the stylistic boundaries of new wave and mainstream rock." He concludes the review by saying the album "is not a creative breakthrough", but is "simply an LP absent of any filler."
- Nick Van Eede: lead vocals, rhythm guitar, keyboards
- Kevin Scott MacMichael: backing vocals, lead guitar, E-mu Emulator
- Colin Farley: bass, piano, backing vocals
- Martin Beadle: drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Gary Barnacle: sax
- David LeBoult, Peter Vitesse: keyboards
- Jimmy Maelen: keyboards & additional percussion
- Pete Birch: backing vocals
- Produced by Steve Thompson, Terry Brown, John Jansen and Michael Barbiero
- Mixed by Tim Palmer, Michael Barbiero, Steve Thompson, Shelly Yakus, Tony Taverner and Terry Brown
- Engineered by Terry Brown
- "(I Just) Died in Your Arms" #1
- "One For the Mockingbird" #38
- "I've Been in Love Before" #9, #2 Adult Contemporary.
- "Any Colour"
- Note: Chart positions are all Billboard Hot 100 unless noted otherwise.
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||50,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "The Scattering - AllMusic page".
- AllMusic review
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 69.
- "Canadian album certifications – Cutting Crew – Broadcast". Music Canada.
- "Cutting Crew" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "British album certifications – Cutting Crew – Broadcast". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Broadcast in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Cutting Crew – Broadcast". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH