Broadcast Film Critics Association
Board of Directors
|John De Simio, Jim Ferguson, Mark Ramsey, Sara Voorhees|
|Affiliations||Broadcast Television Journalists Association (since 2011)|
The Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA) is an association of approximately 250 television, radio and online critics. Founded in 1995, it is the largest film critics organization in the United States and Canada. The BFCA has presented the Critics' Choice Movie Awards each year since 1995. Of the prestigious awards given by film critics, it is the most populist in its tastes.
The BFCA also selects a Film of the Month and recommends other films throughout the year, based on the cumulative grades each film receives in the monthly balloting.
BFCA members are "working critics whose reviews are broadcast on a regular basis to a wide audience, either on television, on radio, or (in special cases) on the internet." More specific requirements must be met by radio- and internet-based critics:
- Radio film critics "must be heard in at least five markets in addition to their primary radio station, unless their primary outlet is in a major city" such as New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, St. Louis, and Toronto
- Internet-based critics must be "well-known print critics as well, or among the few internet critics whose reviews are read by a large enough audience", are "easily accessible on their site," and "identified as the site's primary critic."
Broadcast Television Journalists Association
The Broadcast Television Journalists Association (BTJA) launched in 2011 as an offshoot of the BFCA. The BTJA presented its first awards at a ceremony luncheon at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles in June 2011. Cat Deeley hosted the event. On November 17, 2017 the BJTA Executive Committee announced the appointment of Ed Martin, a member of the BJTA since 1990, as its new President, succeeding founder Joey Berlin. Martin also serves as the Editor and Chief Television and Content Critic of MediaVillage.
- About the Critics[permanent dead link] from the Broadcast Film Critics Association website
- "BFCA/BTJA – Application for Membership". Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- Blair, Iain (January 12, 2012). "Org observes Haitian earthquake anniversary". Variety. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
'The best tables (at our show) always come at a premium price where the extra money goes to the charities,' reports BFCA prexy Joey Berlin.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 31, 2010). "Critics' Choice Television Awards Land TV, Online Distribution, Tap Host". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- Hipes, Patrick (2017-11-14). "Broadcast Television Journalists Association Appoints Ed Martin New President". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2017-12-29.