Broadneck High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007)|
|Broadneck High School|
Responsibility, Rigor, Respect
|1265 Green Holly Drive
Annapolis, Maryland, 21409
|School district||Anne Arundel County Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||113.76 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.18|
|Color(s)||Maroon, Grey, and White
|Rival||Severna Park High School|
Broadneck High School is a school in the United States, located in Anne Arundel County, Maryland on Green Holly Drive, on the border between Arnold and Cape St. Claire, suburbs of Annapolis. The Bruin is the school's mascot. Broadneck is part of the Anne Arundel County Public Schools system and known for the breadth of its Advanced Placement program, among its higher level courses such as Linear Algebra. It has been the test school for courses such as Calculus III and offers options to take classes at the nearby Anne Arundel Community College and CAT-South schools. The Broadneck Bruins are rivals with the nearby Severna Park High School Falcons. The current BHS feeder middle schools are Severn River Middle School and Magothy River Middle School. Broadneck has a good reputation throughout Maryland and Anne Arundel County. In 2013, Newsweek ranked Broadneck as one of the top 20 high schools in Maryland, and top 1,000 in the country. Broadneck also received the highest rank by Newsweek out of all the Anne Arundel County Public High Schools in 2013. 
In the 1970s, nearby Severna Park High School was beginning to become overcrowded and was the only high school that served students on the Broadneck Peninsula at the time. In attempt to solve overcrowding at Severna Park, Anne Arundel County Public Schools built Broadneck High School, which opened in January, 1982 for students in grades 10-12, and had a total of 310 students. The first principal was Lawrence E. Knight. In 1984, the school chose its mascot as the Bruins and its colors as maroon, grey, and white, and the football stadium was named in honor of principal Lawrence E. Knight. In 1987, Broadneck began to experience overcrowding, and as a result, portable classrooms were added to the side of the school. An auditorium was also added to the school, a gravel pit was added near the softball fields to build more room for student parking, and Broadneck Athletics were added to the Anne Arundel County league. A fire also occurred in the English Department, resulting in the hospitalization of a teacher. Broadneck also became a smoke free school in 1987. In 1996, a large construction/expansion project began on the school building to allow room to add 9th graders to the school and in 1998 the project was finished and Broadneck opened its doors to its first freshman class. In 2010, a two story wing was added to the building. 
The demographic breakdown of the 2182 students enrolled for the school year 2012-2013 was as follows:
- Male - 51.3%
- Female - 48.7%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.5%
- Asian/Pacific islander - 3.1%
- Black - 7.0%
- Hispanic - 6.1%
- White - 79.5%
- Multiracial - 3.8%
Newsweek annually rates American high schools based on the ratio of Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate tests taken by all students in the school to the number of graduating seniors that year. In 2008, Broadneck was ranked 216th, and in 2005-2007, 184th, 197th, and 338th, respectively.
|This section does not cite any sources. (September 2013)|
Broadneck High School's athletics teams are the Bruins and Lady Bruins and their colors are maroon and grey. The Broadneck Bruins are rivals with the Severna Park High School "Falcons" and the South River High School "Seahawks". The school has won numerous state and local championships.
Performance groups include Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band and Big Band, a Percussion Ensemble, the String Orchestra, a full Mixed chorus, Male chorus, Women's chorus and an audition-only Vocal Ensemble. Other classes include differing levels of Piano and Guitar, Music History, Electronic Music, and Honors & AP Music Theory.
The marching band is known as the "Marching Bruins". The band is made up of roughly 100 members.
Broadneck is home to many clubs that offers students with all different types of interests a possibility to meet others that share their same interests.
At last count, the 29 clubs at Broadneck High School include:
- Student Government Association (SGA)
- National Honors Society 
- Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter
- Tri-M Music Honor Society
- Foreign Language Experience (FLEX) Program
- Spanish Honor Society
- Muggle Quidditch is used as a once-a-year springtime fundraiser for causes of the day. In the 2009-2010 school year, proceeds went to Haiti relief efforts, in 2010-2011 they went to Japan.
- Brooks Barnard - Former NFL punter. Played with the Chicago Bears and New England Patriots. Also played for the University of Maryland Terrapins.
- Matthew Centrowitz, Jr. - 1500 meter 2011 NCAA men's champion, 2011 1500 meter men's USA national champion, 2011 bronze medalist in World Championship in South Korea. Centrowitz ran for the Oregon ducks, but has recently announced his decision to go pro and is now sponsored by Nike. He ran for United States in the 2012 Olympics in London, placing 4th overall in the men's 1500m race.
- Farrah Hall - competed in sailing at 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Broadneck High". ed.gov. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- BHS Real Estate Information - Yahoo[dead link]
- "25 year reuinon program" (PDF). July 27, 2013: 4. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- [dead link]
- America's Top Public High Schools 2008 - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Anne Arundel". aacps.org. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- Anime Club Old Page Redirect
- Best Buddies Club
- Class Officers
- Creative Writing is almost as co
- Drama Club
- Future Educators of America
- Fishing Club
- Foreign Language Club
- Habitat for Humanity Club
- Heritage Club
- [dead link]
- Interact Club
- It's Academic
- Broadneck Japanese Foreign Exchange Club
- Key Club
- Mock Trial
- Ophelia Club
- Outdoor Science Club
- Stage Crew
- Step Squad
- Video Club
- Broadneck WebMasters
- Broadneck NHS
- "Broadneck Teens Take Flight for a Cause". Broadneck, Maryland Patch. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Brooks Bernard". University of Maryland. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Men's 1500m".
- "Farrah Hall".[dead link]
- Matthews, Jay. The Complete List of the 1,000 Top US Schools - Newsweeks America's Best High Schools. 10 March 2007 [dead link].
- Matthews, Jay. The Complete List: 1,200 Top US Schools - Newsweeks America's Best High Schools. 10 March 2007 [dead link].
- Matthews, Jay. FAQ: Top High Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools. 10 March 2007 [dead link].
- Anne Arundel: Advanced Programs Available in High School. 10 March 2007 .
- Hudson, Lucinda. Principal's Corner. What's Bruin. Issue 7 (2007): 2. .
- Hayes, Kathy E. February 12, 2007 Results. 10 March 2007 .