Broadneck High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Broadneck High School|
1265 Green Holly Drive|
Annapolis, Maryland 21409
|Motto||Bold, Responsible, United, Inovated, Never Gives Up (B.R.U.I.N)|
|School district||Anne Arundel County Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||113.76 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.18|
Maroon, Grey, and White|
|Rival||Severna Park High School|
Broadneck High School is a school in the United States, located in Anne Arundel County, Maryland on Green Holly Drive, on the border between Arnold and Cape St. Claire, suburbs of Annapolis. The Bruin is the school's mascot. Broadneck is part of the Anne Arundel County Public Schools system and known for the breadth of its Advanced Placement program, among its higher level courses such as Linear Algebra. It has been the test school for courses such as Calculus III and offers options to take classes at the nearby Anne Arundel Community College and CAT-South schools. The Broadneck Bruins are rivals with the nearby Severna Park High School Falcons. The current BHS feeder middle schools are Severn River Middle School and Magothy River Middle School. Broadneck has a good reputation throughout Maryland and Anne Arundel County. In 2013, Newsweek ranked Broadneck as one of the top 20 high schools in Maryland, and top 1,000 in the country. Broadneck also received the highest rank by Newsweek out of all the Anne Arundel County Public High Schools in 2013.
- 1 History
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Academics
- 4 Athletics
- 5 Music
- 6 Clubs
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
In the 1970s, nearby Severna Park High School was beginning to become overcrowded and was the only high school that served students on the Broadneck Peninsula at the time. In an attempt to solve overcrowding at Severna Park, Anne Arundel County Public Schools built Broadneck High School, which opened in January, 1982 for students in grades 10-12, and had a total of 310 students. The first principal was Lawrence E. Knight. In 1984, the school chose its mascot as the Bruins and its colors as maroon, grey, and white, and the football stadium was named in honor of principal Lawrence E. Knight. In 1987, Broadneck began to experience overcrowding, and as a result, portable classrooms were added to the side of the school. An auditorium was also added to the school, a gravel pit was added near the softball fields to build more room for student parking, and Broadneck Athletics were added to the Anne Arundel County league. A fire also occurred in the English Department, resulting in the hospitalization of a teacher. Broadneck also became a smoke free school in 1987. In 1996, a large construction/expansion project began on the school building to allow room to add 9th graders to the school and in 1998 the project was finished and Broadneck opened its doors to its first freshman class. In 2010, a two-story wing was added to the building.
The demographic breakdown of the 2182 students enrolled for the school year 2012-2013 was as follows:
- Male - 51.3%
- Female - 48.7%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.5%
- Asian/Pacific islander - 3.1%
- Black - 7.0%
- Hispanic - 6.1%
- White - 79.5%
- Multiracial - 3.8%
Newsweek annually rates American high schools based on the ratio of Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate tests taken by all students in the school to the number of graduating seniors that year. In 2008, Broadneck was ranked 216th, and from 2005-2007, 184th, 197th, and 338th, respectively.
This section does not cite any sources. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Broadneck High School's athletics teams are the Bruins and Lady Bruins and their colors are maroon and grey. The Broadneck Bruins are rivals with the Severna Park High School "Falcons" and the South River High School "Seahawks". The school has won numerous state and local championships.
Performance groups include Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band and Big Band, a Percussion Ensemble, the String Orchestra, a full Mixed chorus, Male chorus, Women's chorus and an audition-only Vocal Ensemble. Other classes include differing levels of Piano and Guitar, Music History, Electronic Music, and Honors & AP Music Theory.
The marching band is known as the "Marching Bruins". The band is made up of roughly 100 members.
Performing and Visual Arts (PVA)
The PVA magnet program is a program that is split between Annapolis High School and Broadneck. At Broadneck, the program features "prime arts", featuring:
- String Orchestra
The program requires an audition to qualify. If one qualifies for PVA, they will go to Broadneck High School instead of their local Anne Arundel County school.
Broadneck is home to many clubs that offers students with all different types of interests a possibility to meet others that share their same interests.
At last count, the 29 clubs at Broadneck High School include:
- Student Government Association (SGA)
- National Honors Society 
- Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter
- Tri-M Music Honor Society
- Foreign Language Experience (FLEX) Program
- Spanish Honor Society
- French Honor Society
- Muggle Quidditch is used as a once-a-year springtime fundraiser for causes of the day. In the 2009-2010 school year, proceeds went to Haiti relief efforts, in 2010-2011 they went to Japan.
- Brooks Barnard - Former NFL punter
- Matthew Centrowitz, Jr. - 2012 & 2016 Olympian; Gold medal in 1500m in 2016
- Farrah Hall - Olympic yachting
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Broadneck High". ed.gov. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- BHS Real Estate Information - Yahoo
- "25 year reuinon program" (PDF). July 27, 2013: 4. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070211211625/http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12535985/site/newsweek/. Archived from the original on February 11, 2007. Retrieved March 10, 2007. Missing or empty
- America's Top Public High Schools 2008 - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070625170828/http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18757087/?sort=Rank&count=1043&Search=&start=100&limit=100&year=2005&. Archived from the original on June 25, 2007. Retrieved September 1, 2007. Missing or empty
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Anne Arundel". aacps.org. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- Anime Club Old Page Redirect Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Best Buddies Club Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Clubs Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Class Officers Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Creative Writing is almost as co Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- DECA Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Drama Club Archived 2011-05-08 at the Wayback Machine.
- FBLA Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Future Educators of America Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Fishing Club Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Foreign Language Club Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- GSA Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Habitat for Humanity Club Archived 2013-04-14 at Archive.is
- Heritage Club Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- [dead link]
- Interact Club Archived 2009-07-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- It's Academic Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Broadneck Japanese Foreign Exchange Club Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Key Club Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- Teacher Archived 2011-08-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- Mock Trial Archived 2012-02-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ophelia Club Archived 2012-02-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Outdoor Science Club Archived 2012-02-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-05-18. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
- Stage Crew Archived 2012-02-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- SADD Archived 2012-02-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Step Squad Archived 2012-02-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Video Club Archived 2011-05-08 at the Wayback Machine.
- Broadneck WebMasters Archived 2010-05-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Broadneck NHS Archived 2008-08-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Broadneck Teens Take Flight for a Cause". Broadneck, Maryland Patch. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Brooks Bernard". University of Maryland. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Men's 1500m".
- "Farrah Hall". Archived from the original on September 18, 2012.
- Matthews, Jay. The Complete List of the 1,000 Top US Schools - Newsweeks America's Best High Schools. 10 March 2007 .
- Matthews, Jay. The Complete List: 1,200 Top US Schools - Newsweeks America's Best High Schools. 10 March 2007 .
- Matthews, Jay. FAQ: Top High Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools. 10 March 2007 .
- Anne Arundel: Advanced Programs Available in High School. 10 March 2007 .
- Hudson, Lucinda. Principal's Corner. What's Bruin. Issue 7 (2007): 2. .
- Hayes, Kathy E. February 12, 2007 Results. 10 March 2007 .