|Fate||Merged with ADT Security Services|
1983 (as Brink's Home Security)2009 (as Broadview)
|Defunct||September 1, 2010|
Broadview Security, formerly Brink's Home Security, was an American provider of home security services that was headquartered in Irving, Texas. The company had over 1.3 million customers in the U.S. and Canada. It was spun off from The Brink's Company in 2008.
Broadview Security was first established in 1983 as Brink's Home Security, a subsidiary of The Brink's Company. The Brink's Company in all its forms has existed since 1859. Brink's Inc., Broadview's former sister company, is known for its armored trucks.
In 2008, the spin-off of Brink's Home Security Holdings, Inc. as a stand-alone publicly traded company was official. The company began trading on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol "CFL." As a condition of the spin-off, the company was required to change its brand, and in 2009, launched the new brand, Broadview Security.
Criticism of advertising
Broadview's television commercials had raised concerns in the Alarm Monitoring industry, regarding what could be perceived as a return to unscrupulous advertising practices.
Critics have pointed out a number of technical inaccuracies in the Broadview commercials, including circumstances which, if they'd occurred as depicted, would indeed not have sounded the alarm system being advertised—much less engendered the exaggerated, immediate response shown by the company. And although crime rates in the United States have generally been dropping, criticism of the company's attempts to drive sales by instilling even greater fear within the most vulnerable members of society, women and children, had become frequent. Unflattering parodies of Broadview's TV commercials, mocking the company's attempts to manipulate consumers, can often be found online.
- Brink's New Name Archived July 15, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Brink's Home Security Inc. - Corporate Profile Archived February 18, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Tyco to acquire Broadview Security for $1.9 billion | Reuters". reuters.com. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Brink's Home Security Changes Name As Firm Goes Public | AHN". Allheadlinenews.com. 2009-07-09. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- "Tyco International to Acquire Broadview Security". Tyco.mediaroom.com. 2010-01-18. Archived from the original on 2010-02-11. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- http://tyco.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=410 |title=Tyco International Completes Acquisition of Broadview Security
- Community Security: Broadview Security Commercials Feed the Alarm Industry’s Poor Reputation Archived July 1, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Broadview Security commercials: Wish fulfillment fantasy for lonely women?
- Why Broadview Security Keeps Making Ads That Scare the Hell Out of Us
- Get Used to Broadview Security's You-Might-Be-Raped Ads -- They Work
- Dear Women: You are never safe. Seriously. We mean it. Hugs n' kisses, Broadview Security
- Broadview First Security Services Commercial
- Saturday Night Live parody: Broadview Security