Broadway Shopping Centre
Broadway Shopping Centre is a shopping centre in Sydney, located in the Broadway locality. It features a 500-seat Food Court and Hoyts 12-screen cinema complex along with major retailers Kmart, Coles, Target, Aldi, Dymocks Booksellers, JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman, Harris Farm Markets, Rebel Sport, and over 100 specialty shops.
The Broadway shopping centre is located in one of the two former Grace Bros Broadway buildings which opened in 1923, the other building now housing university student accommodation. Walker Corporation undertook the restoration of the buildings to include university student accommodation and a shopping centre in 1997. The shopping centre opened in 1998 and was owned and managed by Walker Corporation until its sale to Mirvac in December 2006. In 2007, an additional floor was added to the original centre
On 12 February 2008, just after 1:30 pm a fire was reported due to an electrical substation fire in the lower levels of the shopping centre. No one was injured, however emergency services rescued shoppers trapped in lifts, which had no power due to the fire.
On 17 June 2012, 69 year-old centre security guard Hans Schulz (a German native) was kicked to death after disturbing two intruders - a 32-year-old man from Randwick, New South Wales and a woman aged 27 from Maroubra, New South Wales - who had broken into a Wendy's Ice Cream Kiosk on the ground floor of the building. The pair were charged with manslaughter
On 29 April 2016, hundreds of shoppers and workers had to be evacuated, after a fire broke out on level three.
- "Grace Bros. Department Store". Sydney Architecture. 2007. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Broadway Shopping Centre". Completed Projects. Walker Corporation. 2012. Archived from the original on 5 February 2014. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Broadway Shopping Centre set for $55 million upgrade Property Observer 28 July 2015
- Broadway shines as international retailers move into $55m redevelopment, Inner West Courier, 18 August 2016
- "Broadway shopping centre fire". Incident Updates. Fire and Rescue NSW. 12 February 2008. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Staff writer (12 February 2008). "Sydney shopping centre evacuated after fire". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Rubinsztein-Dunlop, Sean (18 June 2012). "Bail refused over Sydney security guard's death". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Hevesi, Bryant (29 April 2016). "Hundreds of shoppers evacuated after fire breaks out at Broadway Shopping Centre". Inner West Courier. Retrieved 24 January 2016.