Broadway to Hollywood
|Broadway to Hollywood
|Presented by||Don Russell (daytime)
George Putnam (night, 1949-1951)
Bill Slater (night, 1951-1953)
Conrad Nagel (night, 1953-1954)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|Running time||30 Minutes|
|Original release||Daytime: July 4, 1949 – May 4, 1951
Nighttime: July 20, 1949 – July 15, 1954
Broadway to Hollywood was an early American television program broadcast on the now-defunct DuMont Television Network. While the daytime version was mainly a talk show with news, celebrity gossip, and home-viewer quizzes, the quiz portion became a full-fledged nighttime version within two weeks of the program's debut.
The daytime show began on July 4, 1949 and was hosted by Don Russell. Two weeks later on July 20, a nighttime version hosted by George Putnam debuted. Both versions were originally called Headline Clues, with the nighttime show adopting a Broadway to Hollywood prefix on October 21, 1949.
While Russell stayed with the daytime show until its end on May 4, 1951, the nighttime version proved far more versatile. Putnam left in February 1951 and was replaced by Bill Slater until 1953, after which Conrad Nagel took the reins until the show's end on July 15, 1954.
- List of programs broadcast by the DuMont Television Network
- List of surviving DuMont Television Network broadcasts
- 1949-50 United States network television schedule (Thursdays, 8:30pm ET)
- 1950-51 United States network television schedule (Wednesdays, 10pm ET)
- 1951-52 United States network television schedule (Thursdays, 8:30pm ET)
- 1952-53 United States network television schedule (Thursdays, 8:30pm ET)
- 1953-54 United States network television schedule (Thursdays, 8:30pm ET)
- McNeil, Alex (1980). Total Television (4th Edition). New York: Penguin Books. ISBN 0-14-024916-8.
- David Weinstein, The Forgotten Network: DuMont and the Birth of American Television (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2004) ISBN 1-59213-245-6
- Alex McNeil, Total Television, Fourth edition (New York: Penguin Books, 1980) ISBN 0-14-024916-8
- Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows, Third edition (New York: Ballantine Books, 1964) ISBN 0-345-31864-1