Brockley Jack Theatre
The Brockley Jack pub. Theatre entrance is on the right.
410 Brockley Road|
London, SE4 2DH
|Public transit||Crofton Park|
The theatre was founded by David Kincaid, Michael Bottle and Peter Rocca; Kincaid and Bottle took the leads roles in its first production, of the Chekhov pieces On the Harmful Effects of Tobacco and Swansong. It opened in 1992 and is a registered charity.
The Brockley Jack Theatre's programming is a mix of established works and new writing, produced by in-house company Southside Arts and by visiting theatre companies, plus comedy and music nights and regular work-in-progress "scratch" shows. It runs workshops to support new playwrights, hosts the Brockley Jack Film Club and produces an annual festival of new plays, Write Now, supported by Lewisham Council.
The theatre's artistic director is Kate Bannister. Mike Burnside was the initial artistic director and Rhys Thomas held the post from 1996 to 1999. The Brockley Jack Theatre's associate companies are OutFox and Bruce Farce; previous associate companies include The Faction Theatre Company.
- Mick Martin's play The Life and Times of Young Bob Scallion, which premiered at the Brockley Jack Theatre, won the TAPS/BAFTA Best New Play Award 1998.
- Kate Bannister and theatre manager Karl Swinyard won the Best Venue Directors category at the Fringe Report Awards 2011.
- Best Foodie Experience (South East London) in the Off West End Theatre Awards 2011
- Most Welcoming Theatre (South East London) in the Off West End Theatre Awards 2013
- Most Welcoming Theatre (South East London) in the Off West End Theatre Awards 2014
- "Jack Studio Theatre - Time Out London". Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Brockley Jack Theatre - The Theatres Trust". Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Brockley Jack Theatre, London - remotegoat.co.uk". Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Offwestend.com". Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- McRae, Ben; Burnside, Mike (June 2010). "Obituary - David Kincaid". The Stage. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Charity Commission's register". Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Brockley Jack Studio Theatre - The Seer". Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Brockley Central: Write Now back at the Jack". 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- Information from the theatre's first Artistic Director, Mike Burnside.
- "Interview with director Rhys Thomas". Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "The Tutors Alumni - Theatre Summer School in Europe". Retrieved 2021-07-02. Check date values in:
- "The Faction Theatre Company - Productions - The Tempest". Retrieved 212-06-30. Check date values in:
- "Rhys Thomas: Theatre Director - Awards". Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "Fringe Report". Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Fringe Report Awards 2011 – Kate Bannister & Karl Swinyard". 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "OffWestEnd.com - News". Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "OffWestEnd.com - News". Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "OffWestEnd.com - News". Retrieved 2014-03-14.