Brockman 4 mine
The plant at the mine.
|Production||22 million tonnes/annum|
|Company||Rio Tinto Iron Ore|
|Website||Rio Tinto Iron Ore website|
The Brockman 4 mine is an iron ore mine located in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, 60 kilometres north-west of Tom Price. The mine, located near the existing Brockman mine, is scheduled to open in 2010.
The mine is serviced by the Boolgeeda Airport.
Brockman 4 is located approximately 25 km south of the Brockman 2 mine. The mine, which cost US$1.520 billion to build, is initially scheduled to produce 22 million tonnes annually, with a doubling of capacity planned by 2012. This is to help achieve Rio Tinto's goal of raising iron ore production from the Pilbara from 220 million tonnes annually (as of 2010) to 330 million.
The ore body is approximately 15 km long and up to 3 km wide, comprising the hills to the south of the Boolgeeda Creek Valley. Mining incorporates a fleet of fifteen Komatsu 830E haul trucks. The ore is processed on site in the plant to produce lump (<31.5mm, >6mm) and fines (<6mm) product. There is a primary Jaw Crusher, two secondary cone crushers, a six bin screening building and a 1.2 Million tonne capacity stockyard. Stockpiled ore is loaded onto rail and then transported to the coast through the Hamersley & Robe River railway, where it is loaded onto ships.
The mines workforce is on a Fly-in fly-out roster.
Brockman 4 has an estimated mine life of 20 years. It was officially opened on 2 September 2010. Rio Tinto allocated a further A$1.24 billion in early December 2010, to expand the mine as well as develop its Western Turner Syncline project, with the aim of increasing the Pilbara production to 283 million tonnes per annum by late 2013. The expansion would make B4 Rio Tinto's second-largest mine in the Pilbara.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brockman 4 mine.|
- MINEDEX website: Brockman 4 search result accessed: 8 November 2010
- Expansion Projects Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 8 November 2010
- Pilbara Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Mining Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 8 November 2010
- Iron fact sheet - Australian Resources and Deposits Geoscience Australia website, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Rio to double capacity at $US1.5bn Brockman mine, says Walsh The Australian, published: 2 September 2010, accessed: 7 November 2010
- Rail Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 8 November 2010
- Brockman 4 theresourcechannel.com.au, published: 5 March 2010, accessed: 8 November 2010
- Rio Tinto opens Brockman 4 The Sydney Morning Herald, published: 2 September 2010, accessed: 8 November 2010
- Rio Tinto signals $1.24bn ore expansion The Australian, published: 2 December 2010, accessed: 4 December 2010