|Studio album by Richard Wright|
|Released||26 November 1996 (UK)|
25 March 1997 (US)
|Recorded||Studio Harmonie, France; Whitfield Street Studios, London; RAK Studios and The Astoria|
|Genre||Progressive rock, psychedelic rock, ambient|
Guardian Records (US)
Laurie Latham (co-producer)
|Richard Wright chronology|
The album is a four-part concept album based on Wright's then-wife Mildred's battle with depression, and is very much like a classic Pink Floyd concept album in its structure and overall feel. Two songs, "Reaching for the Rail" and "Breakthrough" feature Sinéad O'Connor on lead vocals, with Wright singing elsewhere. The album was recorded in Wright's personal studio in France. Broken China was only Wright's second solo record after 1978's Wet Dream and the last to be released before his death in September 2008.
Wright asked fellow Pink Floyd bandmate David Gilmour to perform on the album, and Gilmour agreed to play on "Breakthrough." However, the approach for the song was changed later on, and Gilmour's performance was not used on the finished release.
On the DVD David Gilmour in Concert, a guest appearance is made by Wright, who sings "Breakthrough" accompanied by David Gilmour and his band.
|1.||"Breaking Water"||Richard Wright, Anthony Moore||2:28|
|2.||"Night of a Thousand Furry Toys"||Wright, Moore||4:22|
|3.||"Hidden Fear"||Wright, Gerry Gordon||3:28|
|7.||"Woman of Custom"||Moore||3:44|
|10.||"Far from the Harbour Wall"||Wright, Moore||6:19|
|12.||"Reaching for the Rail"||Wright, Moore||6:30|
|13.||"Blue Room in Venice"||Wright, Gordon||2:47|
|15.||"Along the Shoreline"||Wright, Moore||4:36|
Instrumental remix tracks from the "Broken China" (UK promo by The Orb)
- "Night of a Thousand Furry Toys" (Inverted Gravy Mix, an Instrumental remix by William Orbit with Matt Ducasse.) – 8:31
- "Runaway" (Anthony Moore) (R. Wright's lemonade mix) – 7:04
- "Runaway" (Anthony Moore) (Leggit Dub) – 7:01
"Runaway" (remixes by The Orb)
Extended "Runaway" remixes, almost the double in length, exist and can be found on two "The Orb Remix Project" compilations:
- "Runaway" (Anthony Moore) (R. Wrights Leggit Mix) — 13:42 on "Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Call Of Duty Part 2" — Ultra Records 2001 (USA).
- "Runaway" (Anthony Moore) (Leggit Dub) — 13:38 on "Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Call Of Duty Part 2" — Deviant Records 2002 (UK).
Both remixes are the same, due to copyrights reasons these compilations have different tracks on the UK and USA versions. "Runaway" appears on both.
- Richard Wright – keyboards, vocals, programming
- Anthony Moore – computer programming & arrangements, 'telephone vocal' (2)
- Sinéad O'Connor – lead vocals (12, 16)
- Tim Renwick – guitars
- Dominic Miller – guitars
- Steven Bolton – guitars
- Pino Palladino – bass guitar
- Manu Katché – drums, percussion
- Sian Bell – cello
- Kate St. John – oboe, cor anglais
- Maz Palladino – backing vocals
- Storm Thorgerson, Peter Curzon - sleeve design
- Tony May - photography
- Jason Reddy - computer
- Julien Mils, Finlay Cowan - artwork