Brontis Jodorowsky (born 27 October 1962) is a Mexican-French actor and theatre director. He is the son of Chilean-French writer, director and actor Alejandro Jodorowsky and French actress Bernadette Landru.
Life and career
Jodorowsky was born in Mexico. His first film experience was a prominent role in his father's 1970 film El Topo.
When he was 12 years old, his father cast him in a planned film adaptation of Dune by Frank Herbert. He was trained to play the part of the novel's protagonist, Paul Atreides. He had been taught by Jean-Pierre Vignau, a famous French coach in Japanese jujitsu karate, judo, aikido and also with a variety of different knives and swords. His training was intensive: 6 hours a day, seven days a week over a period of two years until the film project was shelved. Brontis also revealed that this training was painful and merciless.
Jodorowsky received his acting training in Parisian theatres and at the Conservatoire du XIVe. In 2011 he attended a three-month workshop at the New York Film Academy and in 2013 graduated at the Studio Theatre D'Asnières in France.
He also has a career in theatre; he directed and performed in numerous plays, most of them in Paris. Many of his works were presented at the Théâtre Du Soleil. He is also known for his Atrides series of plays.
In 1991 his daughter, Alma Jodorowsky, was born. She is a French model, singer and actress.
In 2009, he wrote and directed a play with his father and was also an actor in "Le Gorille" (The Gorilla). It became one of his better-known pieces.
In the film La Danza De La Realidad (The Dance Of Reality), he had to play the role of his grandfather that he never knew. He discovered a lot about his father (who directed the film) and what he had endured over his lifetime. This grandfather died before the birth of Brontis, so he never saw him with his own eyes. He reprised the role of Jaime Jodorowsky in the film's sequel, Endless Poetry, which, like La Danza De La Realidad is inspired by his father's life experiences; this time the film is focused on Alejandro's youth and discovery of poetry.
Plays (as director)
- 2000 : Le Médecin volant (Molière)
- 2000 : Qu’est-ce que ça peut faire (Christian Ferrari)
- 2000 : Haute surveillance (Jean Genet)
- 2006 : L'Inattendu (Fabrice Melquiot)
- 2009 : Pelléas et Mélisande (Maeterlinck]
- 2009 : Le Gorille (Brontis Jodorowsky and Alejandro Jodorowsky)
- 2011 : Rigoletto (Verdi)
- 2011 : L’Inattendu (Fabrice Melquiot)
Plays (as actor)
- 1989 : La Nuit miraculeuse (Hélène Cixous)
- 1990 : Les Atrides : Iphigénie à Aulis (Euripide)
- 1990 : Les Atrides : Agamemnon (Eschyle)
- 1991 : Les Atrides : Les Choéphores (Eschyle)
- 1992 : Les Atrides : Les Euménides (Eschyle)
- 1994 : La Ville parjure ou le Réveil des Erinyes (Hélène Cixous)
- 1995 : Le Tartuffe (Molière)
- 1995 : Anthropologies (Pablo Abad)
- 1995 : Pierre et le loup (Prokofiev)
- 1995 : Le Songe d'une nuit d'été (Shakespeare)
- 1995 : Macbeth (Shakespeare)
- 1997 : Le Bon Dieu de Manhattan (Ingeborg Bachmann)
- 1998 : Giacomo le tyrannique de (Giuseppe Manfridi)
- 1998 : Peines d'amour perdues de (Shakespeare)
- 1999 : Danser à Lughnasa de (Brian Friel)
- 2000 : L’Ultime Chant de Troie (Euripide, Eschyle, Sénèque and Parouir Sévak)
- 2001 : Opéra panique (Alejandro Jodorowsky)
- 2001 : L’Évangile selon Judas (From The Bible)
- 2001 : Mon pauvre Fiedia (Dostoïevski)
- 2001 : En attendant Godot (Samuel Beckett)
- 2004 : Un homme est un homme (Brecht)
- 2005 : Troïlus et Cressida (Shakespearel)
- 2005 : Merlin ou la terre dévastée (Tankred Dorst)
- 2006 : Tragedy: a tragedy (Will Eno)
- 2006 : La Marquise d'O (Heinrich von Kleist)
- 2009 : Le Gorille (Franz Kafka)
|1970||El Topo||Hijo (Title character's son)||Film by his father, Alejandro Jodorowsky|
|1971||Pubertinaje||First part only|
|1974||El Muro Del Silencio||Daniel|
|1989||Santa Sangre||Orderly 1||Film by his father, Alejandro Jodorowsky|
|2005||J'ai Vu Tuer Ben Barka||Graphologie expert.|
|2007||Le Voyageur De La Toussaint||Docteur Sauvaget||TV movie|
|2010||A Season Of Jodorowsky||Himself||Documentary. Short.|
|2013||The Dance of Reality||Jaime||Film by his father, Alejandro Jodorowsky|
|2013||Jodorowsky's Dune||Himself||Documentary about Alejandro Jodorowsky|
|2015||Anton Tchékhov 1890||Alexandre Tchekhov|
|2016||Endless Poetry||Jaime||Film by his father, Alejandro Jodorowsky|
|2018||Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald||Nicolas Flamel|
He is also credited in the short film Echek in the "thanks" section.
- Largo Winch (2002)
Character: Landis Episode: Flashback
- Section de recherches (2007)
Character: Patrick Venderlen Episode: Vents contraires
- Matrimoni (1998)
Character: Paolo Sessanelli
- "Los retos de la genealogía de la memoria en la narrativa finisecular judío-chilena". scielo.cl (in Spanish). 28 March 2007. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Jodorowsky's Dune (Documentary, 2013)
- Vatinet, David. "Alma Jodorowsky". Agents Associés (in French). Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Le Théâtre du Soleil : Distribution des Atrides".
- "LE GORILLE Bande-Annonce - "Le gorille" Un spectacle d'Alejandro et Brontis Jodorowsky". YouTube.
- Clarence Tsui. "Brontis Jodorowsky on Playing His Grandfather in Dad Alejandro's 'The Dance of Reality' (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Echek (2000)". IMDb. 1 February 2000.