|Brooke shown within Rutland|
|Area||2.25 sq mi (5.8 km2) |
|Population||211 2001 Census|
|• Density||94/sq mi (36/km2)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||83 miles (134 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Brooke is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is situated about three miles (4.8 km) south-west of Oakham. The village is near the source of the River Gwash near Braunston-in-Rutland; the river forms part of the parish boundary. From the 2011 census the population is included in the civil parish of Braunston-in-Rutland.
No trace of the buildings survive, but there are earthworks and crop marks associated with fishpools or outbuildings. Some of these may date from the English Civil War or the formal gardens of the succeeding Brooke House, itself now gone. Some fragments of the original buildings are thought to have been used in the present 16th century house, called Brooke Priory.
Brooke Priory School was founded here in 1989 but moved to Oakham in 1996.
The Brooke Reliquary was discovered in c.1805 in the cellar of Priory House. This small enamelled casket dates from the 13th Century and originates from workshops in Limoges, France. It is now on display at Rutland County Museum.
- "A vision of Britain through time". University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 31 January 2009.
- "Rutland Civil Parish Populations" (PDF). Rutland County Council. 2001. Retrieved 31 January 2009.
- A History of the County of Rutland (ed. William Page): Volume 2 (1935), pp. 37-40. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- Historic England. "Earthworks of Brooke Priory (1054949)". PastScape. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Historic England. "Brooke Priory (Augustinian) (323293)". PastScape. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Historic England. "Brooke Priory (house) (1054983)". PastScape. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Williamson, Elizabeth; Brandwood, Geoffrey K. (1985). Leicestershire and Rutland. The buildings of England. Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300096187. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Historic England. "Brooke House (1054983)". PastScape. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Page, William, ed. (1935). "Parishes: Brooke". A History of the County of Rutland: Volume 2. Victoria County History. pp. 37–40. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
|This geographical article about a location in Rutland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|