Brookfield (town), Wisconsin
Location in Waukesha County and the state of Wisconsin.
|• Total||5.5 sq mi (14.3 km2)|
|• Land||5.5 sq mi (14.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||820 ft (250 m)|
|• Density||1,160.3/sq mi (448.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1582868|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.5 square miles (14.3 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,390 people, 2,762 households, and 1,762 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,160.3 people per square mile (447.8/km²). There were 2,863 housing units at an average density of 519.8 per square mile (200.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 94.63% White, 0.83% Black or African American, 0.03% Native American, 3.19% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.42% from other races, and 0.88% from two or more races. 1.25% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,762 households out of which 24.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.5% were married couples living together, 4.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.2% were non-families. 32.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.29 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the town, the population was spread out with 22.0% under the age of 18, 4.3% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 24.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 86.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $65,417, and the median income for a family was $83,036. Males had a median income of $63,661 versus $47,591 for females. The per capita income for the town was $38,608. About 2.1% of families and 3.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.3% of those under age 18 and 4.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Caroline Ingalls (1839–1923), mother of Laura Ingalls Wilder, was born in the then Town of Brookfield, currently City of Brookfield. She was descended from pioneers who could trace their ancestry to the Mayflower. There is a description of her life, Little House in Brookfield, patterned after the highly successful Little House on the Prairie. Quiner's birthplace stood near today's intersection of Davidson Road and Brookfield Road, in the southwestern part of the city.
- Katrina Kozar, MasterChef (U.S. season 6) contestant, lived in the Town at the time of her TV appearance.
- William H. Steele, Wisconsin State Assemblyman and farmer, was born in the town.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- About Brookfield-History
- 'Town of Brookfield file a petition to become a village,' Mike Johnson, Milwaukee Sentinel Journal, March 26, 2012
- Bruce, Geoff (May 26, 2015). "Brookfield native takes culinary skills to television'". Brookfield Now. Retrieved 2015-05-30.