Brookfield Property Partners
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Public, Limited partnership|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: BPY|
|Industry||Commercial Real Estate|
|Ric Clark (Chairman)|
Brian Kingston (CEO)
|Revenue||US$6.1 billion (2017)|
|US$2.5 billion (2017)|
|Total assets||US$84 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|19,000 *Includes Brookfield Property Group employees and operating employees employed by affiliated and/or portfolio companies owned by Brookfield or Brookfield-sponsored funds.|
|Parent||Brookfield Asset Management|
|Subsidiaries||Brookfield Properties Retail Group|
Brookfield Office Properties
Brookfield Property Partners L.P. is a global company which owns, operates and invests in commercial property. The majority of the company's assets are located in North America, Europe, and Australia.
Brookfield Property Partners (BPY) was formed through a spin-off from Brookfield Asset Management in April 2013. On April 15, 2013, shares of BPY began trading on the Toronto and New York Stock Exchanges. The new company formed by the spin-off consolidated in one place all of Brookfield's commercial property assets. During the 12-month period between October 2013 and October 2014, BPY surpassed one million square feet of leasing deals in London.
In June 2014, BPY completed the acquisition of Brookfield Office Properties (BPO) through a tender offer. On June 10, 2014, BPO was de-listed from the Toronto Stock Exchange; ten days later, it was removed from the New York Stock Exchange.
In a joint venture with Qatar Investment Authority, BPY completed the takeover of 100 percent of London's Canary Wharf Group (CWG) in April 2015. The deal acquired Songbird Estates Plc., which owned 69 percent of CWG, in a deal that valued Songbird at about 2.6 billion pounds ($3.9 billion US).
In October 2015, BPY acquired a Brookfield residential development in Brooklyn called "Greenpoint Landing". BPY also sold a 44% interest in the $8 billion Manhattan West development in New York to the Qatar Investment Authority in October 2015.
Together with a joint venture partner, Korea Investment Corp., Brookfield Property Partners acquired Berlin's Potsdamer Platz in January 2016, in a deal valued at $1.41 billion. The property is a major public square in central Berlin consisting of 17 buildings, 10 streets, and two squares covering over 2,900,000 square feet. The buildings are a mix of office, retail and residential space, including a hotel and leisure-use space. Over 480 international and German companies are headquartered there.
Also in January 2016, Brookfield Property Partners, with a joint venture partner, Investment Corporation of Dubai, launched an office development project in Dubai, ICD Brookfield Place, in a deal valued at $1 billion.
Brian Kingston is the CEO of Brookfield Property Partners, and Ric Clark is the chairman of the company.
Property types and markets
Brookfield owns and operates office buildings in cities including New York, London, Toronto, Los Angeles, and Sydney. Some of the company's properties include Brookfield Place in New York and Bank of America Plaza in Los Angeles.
Brookfield Property Partners operates retail properties in the U.S., Europe, Brazil and Asia.
In 2016, Brookfield acquired Rouse Properties, taking over 35 malls and retail centers in 21 states.
Concurrent with the GGP deal, Brookfield acquired retail properties on Bleecker St. in Manhattan from New York REIT Inc. with plans to revitalize the area. The company's plans included creating an incubator for online and emerging retailers, and hosting cultural events and art installations within the storefront spaces.
In 2012, Brookfield entered the industrial-property sector. Between 2012 and 2014, BPY purchased Atlanta-based Industrial Developments International and London-based Gazeley Ltd, industrial-property companies focused on the US, UK, Europe and Asia. The companies were subsequently merged and now operate as a single entity, IDI Gazeley.
Between 2010 and 2015, BPY went from owning virtually zero apartment units to the acquisition of 42,000. The company began developing this market when it bought a 65 percent share in the Fairfield Residential Company. Together with Fairfield, BPY launched the Brookfield Fairfield U.S. Multifamily Value Add Fund, which is pursuing investment opportunities to acquire undervalued or underperforming multifamily apartment properties in infill or supply-constrained locations suitable for renovation, repositioning and operational turnaround. In 2015, a Brookfield-sponsored fund acquired Associated Estates Realty Corp. for $2.5 billion, adding to its multifamily portfolio 15,000 units across 10 U.S. states.
In 2014, the company expanded into the hospitality-property market with the acquisition of Thayer Lodging Group, one of the few private-equity firms that focuses on hotel investment. In 2015, a Brookfield-sponsored fund acquired Center Parcs UK, an operator of five short-break holiday villages in England, for £2.45 billion. Additionally, Brookfield is invested in other hotels including the Atlantis Paradise Island in the Bahamas, The Diplomat Resort & Spa in South Florida, and the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
Triple Net Lease
In 2014, a Brookfield-sponsored fund acquired Capital Automotive and its portfolio of 450 triple-net-leased automotive dealerships across the U.S. for $4.3 billion.
In 2016, a Brookfield-sponsored fund acquired Simply Self Storage, an owner/operator of 90 self-storage facilities in the US totaling 6.8 million square feet, for $829 million. Through further acquisitions, Brookfield has doubled the size of its self-storage portfolio to 175 facilities totaling approximately 14 million square feet.
In 2016, a Brookfield sponsored fund acquired a portfolio of 13 student housing properties totaling 5,700 beds primarily in four university markets in the UK for a total purchase price of approximately £400 million.
In 2017, a Brookfield-sponsored fund acquired a portfolio of 135 manufactured housing communities comprising 33,000 pads across 13 US states.
In recent years, Brookfield has been expanding into developing markets. In 2013, the company bought a stake in prime Shanghai Property from Shui On Land in the district of Xintiandi for $500 million. In late 2014, Brookfield acquired a portfolio of office parks in India.
In December 2015 and January 2016, Brookfield acquired seven office buildings in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In 2016 Brookfield commenced construction in Dubai on ICD Brookfield Place, a 1.5 million square foot office and retail development located in the Dubai International Financial Centre district. In late 2016 Brookfield expanded into South Korea, when it acquired the International Finance Centre Seoul (IFC Seoul) featuring three high-rise office towers, a three-level retail mall, and a five-star Conrad hotel.
- "BROOKFIELD PROPERTY PARTNERS LP PARTNERSHIP UNITS WHEN ISSUED (BPY)". Markets Insider.
- "2016 Annual Report" (PDF). Brookfield Property Partners LP. 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Brookfield's Ric Clark talks 666 Fifth plan". The Real Deal New York. 2018-05-18. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- Brookfield Property CEO on the Future of Retail Centers, retrieved 2018-06-15
- "2017 Annual Report" (PDF). Brookfield Property Partners LP. 2017. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Brookfield Property Partners L.P. 2018 ANNUAL REPORT" (PDF). p. 41.
- "The Company". Brookfield Property Partners. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Yu, Hui-yong (12 April 2013). "Brookfield Spinoff Plans to Expand Beyond Offices, Malls". Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Brookfield Asset Management Completes Spin-Off of Brookfield Property Partners". Yahoo Finance. 15 April 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "General Growth Properties Announces Corporate Name Change to GGP". Finance.Yahoo.com. 17 January 2017. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- Wallace, James (27 October 2014). "Brookfield Property surpasses one million sq ft of leasing deals in 12 months". CoStar. Archived from the original on 2016-04-23. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Carmiel, Oshrat; Levitt, David M. (1 October 2013). "Brookfield Property Offers to Acquire Brookfield Office". Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Brookfield Property Partners Completes Acquisition of Brookfield Office Properties". London: The News. Marketwired. 9 June 2014. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Brookfield Property Partners Completes Acquisition of Brookfield Office Properties". Brookfield Property Partners. 9 June 2014. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Murray, Barbra (30 March 2015). "Downtown Manhattan's Brookfield Place Celebrates Grand Opening". Commercial Property Executive. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Callanan, Neil (20 April 2015). "Qatar and Brookfield take full control of Canary Wharf". Business News Network. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Levitt, David M. (14 April 2015). "Brookfield to Start Manhattan Tower After Signing Skadden". Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- KUSISTO, LAURA (27 October 2015). "Brookfield Bets Big on Brooklyn". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Sender, Henny (28 October 2015). "Qatar fund backs Brookfield's $8bn Manhattan West project". Financial Times. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- PATNAUDE, ART (4 January 2016). "Brookfield Acquires Potsdamer Platz in Berlin for $1.4 Billion". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Sender, Henny (4 January 2016). "Brookfield and KIC buy Berlin real estate". Financial Times. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Fattah, Zainab (20 January 2016). "Brookfield Plans $1 Billion Office Tower in Dubai Finance Center". Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Raval, Anjli (10 March 2014). "Ric Clark takes Brookfield Property Group into new sectors and territories". Financial Times. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Karmin, Craig (20 May 2014). "Brookfield to Expand Hotel-Industry Presence With Purchase of Thayer Lodging Group". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Report Brookfield Asset Management Agrees to Buy Simply Self Storage for $830M". www.insideselfstorage.com. 2016-01-08. Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- "Brookfield set to enter student housing market with £420m deal". Property Week. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- "Huge Lease Extension Inked at Bank of America Plaza". Los Angeles Downtown News - The Voice of Downtown Los Angeles. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- "Wall Street is awash in subleases—a bad sign for landlords". Crain's New York Business. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- "Sectors - Brookfield Asset Management". www.brookfield.com. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- Grant, Peter (24 September 2014). "Saks Deal Is A Sign of New Luxury Era in Downtown Manhattan". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Street, All rights reserved © 2017 The Real Deal is a registered Trademark of Korangy Publishing Inc 450 West 31st; York, New; 212-260-1332, NY 10001 Phone: (2014-09-24). "Hudson Bay Company Headquarters | Brookfield Place". The Real Deal New York. Retrieved 2017-05-09.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "HBC Consolidates Space and Signs Lease at Brookfield Place". Commercial Observer. 2014-09-24. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- "Brookfield completes $2.8B acquisition of mall REIT Rouse Properties | Real Estate Weekly". Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- Morris, Keiko (2018-04-22). "Brookfield Plans Retail Reboot on Bleecker Street". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- "Brookfield Property Partners L.P. Completes Acquisition of GGP Inc" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. August 28, 2018.
- "Brookfield Property Partners: Office". Brookfield Property Partners. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Slatin, Peter (27 May 2014). "Brookfield Makes a Play for Industrial Sector". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Brookfield Property Partners: Multifamily". Brookfield Property Partners. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Gara, Antoine. "REIT Activist Scores Win In Associated Estates $2.5B Sale To Brookfield". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- Jinks, Beth (27 April 2012). "Kerzner Hands Atlantis Bahamas to Brookfield, Palm to Dubai". Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Brookfield Property Partners: Hospitality". Brookfield Property Partners. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Gower, Patrick; Gopal, Prashant (2 June 2015). "Brookfield Buying U.K. Center Parcs Resorts From Blackstone". Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Capital Automotive Sells for $4.3 Billion - Dealer eProcess". Dealer eProcess. 2014-09-05. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- "CoStar UK - The Leader in Commercial Property Information". www.costar.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- "Brookfield Asset Management To Acquire MHC Portfolio for $2 Billion - CoStar Group". www.costar.com. Retrieved 2017-05-11.
- Fung, Esther (31 October 2013). "Brookfield Buys Stake in Prime Shanghai Property". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Shah, Aditi (26 June 2016). "Factbox - Investors ready $1 billion war chest for office assets in India". Reuters. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Grant, Peter (5 May 2015). "Big Property Investors Hunt for Bargains in Brazil". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Work begins on $1bn ICD Brookfield Place tower in DIFC | The National". Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Brookfield and CIC Team Up For $2.7B Purchase of IFC Seoul". Mingtiandi. 2016-11-21. Retrieved 2017-05-10.