Brooklyn Joseph Beckham
4 March 1999
|Partner(s)||Nicola Peltz (engaged, 2020)|
Brooklyn Joseph Beckham (born 4 March 1999) is an English model and amateur photographer. He is the eldest son of British former footballer David Beckham and British singer-turned-fashion designer Victoria Beckham.
Brooklyn Joseph Beckham was born at The Portland Hospital in Marylebone, London, the son of David Beckham and Victoria Beckham (née Adams). It is often reported that he was named Brooklyn because he was conceived in Brooklyn, New York; according to Victoria Beckham's 2014 autobiography Learning to Fly, however, she and her husband simply liked the name, and only after choosing it "realized how appropriate it was because it was in New York that I found out I was pregnant, and where David came after the World Cup."
Beckham grew up in Madrid, Spain while his father played for Real Madrid, and in Los Angeles, California while his father played for LA Galaxy. He has three younger siblings: Romeo James, Cruz David, and sister Harper Seven. His godparents are Elton John, David Furnish, and Elizabeth Hurley. At age 15, Beckham worked weekend shifts at a coffee shop in West London.
Beckham began modeling in 2014, and has appeared in editorials and on covers for Vogue China, Miss Vogue, Interview, L'Uomo Vogue, T:The New York Times Style Magazine, and Dazed Korea. He has been photographed by Bruce Weber, Terry Richardson, Daniel Jackson, and Alasdair McLellan.
Beckham had been a "brand ambassador" for Huawei Honor 8 smartphones alongside Scarlett Johansson, Karlie Kloss, and Henry Cavill. In 2018, Beckham posted two snapshots of Chinese tourists in Italy on Instagram above the caption "No place like Italy innit", prompting many Asian and Chinese people on social media platforms Twitter, Instagram, and Weibo to accuse him of anti-Asian or anti-Chinese racism.
In 2016, at age 16, Beckham photographed a campaign for Burberry BRIT, starring models Ben Rees, Carvell Conduah, Eliza Thomas, Liv Mason Pearson, and Maddie Demaine. Beckham's hiring for the campaign was met with criticism by several prominent photographers. Chris Floyd called Burberry's decision to employ Beckham a "devaluation of photography" and "sheer nepotism", while fashion photographer Jon Gorrigan called it an example of "a bit of injustice in a lot of areas" of the industry.
In 2017, Beckham announced that he would pursue a photography degree at Parsons School of Design at the New School in New York. After a year in the US, however, Beckham decided in 2018 to return to the UK for a prestigious photography internship. It was confirmed in 2019 that Beckham was interning for British photographer Rankin.
Beckham previously dated American actress Chloë Grace Moretz and French model-singer Sonia Ben Ammar. He attended the 2016 Democratic National Convention with Moretz in support of Hillary Clinton. After breaking up and reconciling several times, Moretz confirmed that she and Beckham had broken up permanently in 2018.
Beckham has been romantically linked with model Lexi Wood. After confirming their relationship on Instagram in January 2020, Beckham announced his engagement to actress Nicola Peltz on 11 July 2020.
- Sinha, Charu (2020-07-12). "Brooklyn Beckham Engaged to Nicola Peltz". Vulture. Retrieved 2020-07-12.
- Hardy, Alissa (May 24, 2016). "Brooklyn Beckham Just Scored His Biggest Vogue Cover Yet". Teen Vogue. Condé Nast.
- Jones, Jonathan (13 July 2016). "Brooklyn Beckham's Burberry campaign – the art critic's verdict". The Guardian – via www.theguardian.com.
- "The origin of Brooklyn Beckham's name". People. March 8, 2007. Archived from the original on January 16, 2012.
- Finn, Natalie (March 4, 2020). "Inside Brooklyn Beckham's Precious Bond With His Famous Family". E! Online. Retrieved July 24, 2020.
- "Celebrity godparents and famous godchildren in pictures". HELLO!. 25 November 2013.
- "Brooklyn Beckham turns 18: How much do you really know about him?". Glamour UK. Condé Nast Britain. 4 March 2017.
- Lynch, Alison (19 May 2014). "It's barista Beckham: Brooklyn Beckham gets weekend job in west London coffee shop". Metro.co.uk. DMG Media.
- Gaines, Cork (Sep 21, 2015). "David Beckham's oldest son no longer wants to play soccer, and the reason why broke his dad's heart". Business Insider.
- Chan, Jennifer (31 March 2014). "Brooklyn Beckham Makes Modeling Debut on Man About Town Magazine—See the Pics!". E! Online. NBCUniversal.
- Williams, Rhiannon (17 August 2016). "Why is Brooklyn Beckham selling phones?". BBC News – via www.bbc.com.
- Williams, Sophie (5 October 2018). "Brooklyn Beckham faces backlash over Instagram photos of Chinese tourists". www.standard.co.uk. ESI Media.
- Boblia, Maria (Jul 11, 2016). "BROOKLYN BECKHAM'S FRAGRANCE CAMPAIGN FOR BURBERRY IS HERE". Fashionista. Breaking Media, Inc.
- "Brit Fragrance 2016 (Burberry)". MODELS.com.
- "Moments of the Year: 6. Celebrity Kin". models.com. 17 December 2015.
- Desmond, Sally (2016-01-30). "'Sheer nepotism': Brooklyn Beckham Burberry shoot angers photographers". the Guardian. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- Shenton, Zoe (2017-09-16). "Brooklyn Beckham moans about "fangirls" at his new New York college". mirror. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- Rearick, Lauren (July 16, 2018). "Brooklyn Beckham Reportedly Left Parsons School of Design Because of "Homesickness" He'll be returning to the United Kingdom". Teen Vogue. Condé Nast.
- Dodgson, Lindsay. "Brooklyn Beckham is reportedly 'lacking in basic skills' as famous photographer Rankin's intern: 'It's not been the most impressive start'". Insider. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- "WATCH: Chloë Grace Moretz Confirms She's Dating Brooklyn Beckham: 'Yes, We're in a Relationship'". PEOPLE.com.
- Spedding, Emma; Sowray, Bibby (14 March 2016). "Everything you need to know about Brooklyn Beckham's 'girlfriend' Sonia Ben Ammar". Telegraph.
- Rodulfo, Kristina (29 July 2016). "Chloë Grace Moretz Had Best Date Ever at the Democratic National Convention". ELLE.
- Gordon, Naomi (2018-08-13). "Chloë Grace Moretz Breaks Silence On Brooklyn Beckham Split And PDA Photos". ELLE. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- O'Malley, Katie (2018-04-11). "Brooklyn Beckham Responds To Chloë Moretz's Claims He Cheated On Her". ELLE. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- Mackelden, Amy (11 July 2020). "Brooklyn Beckham Confirms His Engagement to Actress Nicola Peltz". Harper's Bazaar. Hearst Magazine Media Inc. Retrieved 11 July 2020.