|Address||61 Wythe Avenue|
|Location||Brooklyn, New York 11249|
|Opened||July 7, 2009|
Brooklyn Bowl is a music venue, bowling alley and restaurant in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. It is known for its high-tech green construction and variety of musical acts. In 2013 Rolling Stone named Brooklyn Bowl the 20th best music club in America.
History and design
Originally an ironworks-foundry building in the 1880s, Brooklyn Bowl was opened by Peter Shapiro on July 7, 2009. It took over two years to construct and cost millions. Upon opening, it became the first bowling alley in the country, and possibly the world, to be LEED certified, with its pinspotter machines using 75% less energy than typical pinspotters.
The concert stage floor was built using recycled truck tires, and is lit entirely by LEDs. Much of the rest of the establishment was constructed using recycled materials, including glass reclaimed from the Brooklyn Navy Yard and custody-controlled wooden floor boards reclaimed from the original ironworks building in which it now stands.
Brooklyn Bowl has opened a location in London and another in Las Vegas (2014). The London outlet closed in January 2017 'until further notice' to facilitate building work at the O2 Arena, but it is hoped that the venue will return following the completion of the work in 2018.
Brooklyn Bowl has over two thousand square feet of floor space that includes a sixteen-lane bowling alley, operating alongside the music floor. The 600 capacity music hall has hosted numerous notable acts, including Guns N' Roses, Elvis Costello, The Roots and RJD2.
The venue also offers a restaurant run by the popular citywide chain, Blue Ribbon, which seats 250 people.
- "Brooklyn Bowl in New York". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Brooklyn Bowl - open July 7". Brooklyn Vegan. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Sisario, Ben (29 June 2009). "Environmental Efficiency? Cool, but Will You Rock to It?". New York Times. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Carlson, Jen. "Brooklyn Bowl Readies For Opening". Gothamist. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Danberg-Ficarelli, Meredith. "Brooklyn Bowl is the World's Only LEED Certified Bowling Alley". Inhabitat. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Clemons, Dante. "Brooklyn Bowl Powered by Wind in New York". Catalyst Strategic Design Review. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Shea, Danny (17 September 2010). "Bill Clinton Shows Up At Brooklyn Bowl". Huffington Post. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- St. John, Colin. "Guns N' Roses @ Brooklyn Bowl 6/6/13". Stereogum. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Elvis Costello & the Roots announce album release party at Brooklyn Bowl". Brooklyn Vegan. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Ghorashi, Hannah E. "RJD2 at Brooklyn Bowl". Relix. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Brooklyn Bowl". Time Out. Retrieved 10 September 2013.