Brooklyn Go Hard
|"Brooklyn Go Hard"|
|Promotional single by Jay-Z featuring Santigold from the album Notorious (soundtrack)|
|Released||December 1, 2008|
|Label||Roc-A-Fella, Def Jam|
|Writer||Shawn Carter, Kanye West, Santi White|
"Brooklyn Go Hard" is the second promo single by rap artist Jay-Z, featuring additional vocals by alternative musician Santigold. The song was produced by Kanye West. It appears on the soundtrack to The Notorious B.I.G. biopic Notorious for which it serves as the theme song. It was released on December 1, 2008, as an exclusive download available via subscription to (RED)Wire, with a portion of the profits going towards Bono's Product Red organization. In 2013, it was used in a trailer and several television commercials for the Jackie Robinson biopic 42: The True Story of an American Legend.
Santigold first hinted at a collaboration in an interview with NME, saying she "may also do something with Jay-Z, it's kind of secret - it's not for anything, it's just 'cause we want to." The collaboration contains a sample of Santigold's track "Shove It", in the same vein as Jay-Z and T.I.'s "Swagga Like Us", which samples M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes". However, in "Brooklyn Go Hard", Santigold provides another new verse.
"Brooklyn Go Hard" initially charted at number two on Billboard's Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles. The following week, it debuted on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number 62 and peaked at number 61 since then. "Brooklyn Go Hard" entered the Hot Rap Tracks chart at number 18.
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||61|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Rap Tracks||18|
- Shaheem Reid (2008-12-03). "'Notorious' soundtrack details revealed: features Jay-Z, Jadakiss, Faith Evans, Biggie's Son". MTV News. MTV. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Jay-Z, Santigold, Killers, U2 launch new Red charity download service". NME. IPC Media. 2008-12-02. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Santogold working with Jay-Z, Beastie Boys, Roots Manuva". NME. IPC Media. 2008-07-22. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- "Jay-Z samples Santigold for B.I.G. biopic". In the Mix. 2008-12-02. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles". Billboard. Nielsen Company. Retrieved 2008-12-11.[dead link]
- Jonathan Cohen (2008-12-11). "Britney debuts big, but T.I. tops Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Company. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs". Billboard. Nielsen Company. Retrieved 2008-12-18.[dead link]
- "Hot Rap Tracks". Billboard. Nielsen Company. Retrieved 2008-12-11.[dead link]