Brookside Dairy Limited
Executive Chairman & CEO
|Products||Milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, ice-cream|
|Revenue||Gross: €130 million (US$176 million) (2014)|
|Subsidiaries||In Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania|
Brookside Dairy Limited, often referred to as Brookside Dairies, is a dairy processing company in Kenya, the largest economy in the East African Community. The company offers fresh pasteurized milk, cream, butter, yogurt, ghee, and long life milk products in Indian Ocean Islands, East Africa, Rwanda and Burundi. It provides products through distribution depots, agents, and sub agents to outlets in East Africa.
The head office of Brookside Dairies is located along Thika Road in Ruiru, approximately 28 kilometres (17 mi), by road, northeast of Nairobi, the capital and largest city in Kenya. The coordinates of the company headquarters are:1°10'42.0"S, 36°57'30.0"E (Latitude:-1.178333; Longitude:36.958333).
Brookside Dairies is the largest milk processing company in Kenya, where it controls 45 percent of the dairy market, as at January 2016. The company's products, including fresh and powdered milk, yogurt and butter, are distributed in the East African countries of Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda.
Brookside Dairies was established in 1993 by members of the Jomo Kenyatta Family, including his son Uhuru Kenyatta, who was elected President of Kenya in 2013. In 2009, the Gulf-area-based private equity firm Abraaj Capital paid US$18.7 million for 10 percent shareholding in the business. In 2014, French yogurt maker Danone paid an undisclosed sum to acquire a 40 percent stake in Brookside. Beginning in 2013, Brookside has expanded by buying stakes in rival milk processing plants in Kenya, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Uganda.
- Ruiru Office (Main Office) - Ruiru, Kenya
- Kampala Office - Kampala, Uganda
- Arusha Office - Arusha, Tanzania
- Mwanza Office - Mwanza, Tanzania
- Dar es Salaam Office - Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|3||The Abraaj Group||10.0|
In May 2015, Brookside Dairies paid Ksh3.5 billion (about US$40 million) for 51 percent shareholding in Sameer Agriculture & Livestock Limited, a dairy processing company in neighboring Uganda, in which the Ugandan government maintains a 49 percent shareholding. In January 2016, the Kenyan press reported that the company had plans to expand to West Africa, starting with Nigeria.
- Commercial Bank of Africa
- Dairy industry in Uganda
- List of milk processing companies in Uganda
- List of wealthiest people in Kenya
- Wachira, Charles (17 July 2014). "Danone Buys 40 Percent of Kenya's Brookside to Expand African Footprint". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- GFC (24 March 2016). "Distance between Nairobi, Kenya and Ruiru, Kiambu, Kenya". Globefed.com (GFC). Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Google (24 March 2016). "Location of Brookside Dairies Headquarters" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Andae, Gerald (6 August 2015). "New KCC Cedes Market Share To Fresha Milk Firm". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- Kariuki, James (24 March 2016). "Brookside calls for action against milk adulteration". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Andae, Gerald (28 January 2016). "Brookside plans for West Africa exports get Buhari visit boost". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- Kariuki, James (8 October 2015). "Brookside gets access to French partner's flavours". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- Nsehe, Mfonobong (19 July 2014). "Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta To Earn Millions From Danone Deal". Forbes.com. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Andae, Gerald (21 August 2013). "Brookside Targets Rival for Larger Share of Milk Market". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- Juma, Victor (11 November 2013). "Kenyatta Business Empire Goes Into Expansion Drive". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- Masinde, Joshua (29 December 2013). "Brookside Given Nod To Buy Rival Company". Daily Nation Mobile (Nairobi).
- Star Reporter (1 May 2015). "Uganda: Brookside Buys Sameer's Uganda Dairy Operations". The Star (Kenya) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Brookside Dairies, . (2014). "Locations of Brookside Dairy Limited Offices". Brookside Dairy Limited (Brookside Dairies). Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Mfonobong, Nsehe (1 June 2015). "Kenya's 2nd Richest Man Sells Dairy Firm To Kenyatta Family-Owned Business". Forbes.com. Retrieved 1 June 2015.