Bror Emil Hildebrand
|Born||22 February 1806|
|Died||30 August 1884 (aged 78)|
|Occupation(s)||archaeologist, numismatist and museum director|
|Member of the Swedish Academy|
(Seat No. 11)
20 December 1866 – 30 August 1884
|Preceded by||Lars Magnus Enberg|
|Succeeded by||Clas Theodor Odhner|
of the Swedish Academy
|Preceded by||Henning Hamilton|
|Succeeded by||Carl David af Wirsén|
Bror Emil Hildebrand (22 February 1806 in Madesjö – 30 August 1884) was a Swedish archaeologist, numismatist and museum director. From 1837 to 1879 he was Custodian of Ancient Monuments and Secretary of the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters. From 1847 he was a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and from 1866 a member of the Swedish Academy. In 1866, he founded the Swedish History Museum in Stockholm.
In 1830 Hildebrand became reader in numismatics at the University of Lund. About this time he was also taught archaeology by C.J. Thomsen in nearby Copenhagen. This led to Hildebrand's introduction of Thomsen's famous three-age system in Sweden. His main scholarly legacy lies within the field of Medieval Anglo-Saxon numismatics, where he produced pioneering catalogues and studies. Much of this work was indirectly due to agricultural reforms in Sweden that led to Viking Period silver coin hoards surfacing at a rate never seen before or after Hildebrand's day; the 1864 edition of Hildebrand's Anglo-Saxon coins in the Swedish Royal Coin Cabinet drew on the evidence of 64 Swedish hoards alongside other European finds to establish the basic chronology of the late Anglo-Saxon coinage, much of which has remained valid after more than a century of subsequent research.
- Hildebrand, Bengt (1971–1973). "Bror Emil Hildebrand". Svenskt biografiskt lexikon (in Swedish). Vol. 19. Stockholm: National Archives of Sweden. p. 38. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Ett historiskt museum och hur det har format Sverige" [A history museum and how it has shaped Sweden] (PDF). www.shmm.se. Statens historiska museer. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 March 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Jonsson, Kenneth (1990). "Bror Emil Hildebrand and the Borup hoard". In K Jonsson (ed.). Studies in Late Anglo-Saxon Coinage. Stockholm: Svenska Numismatiska Föreningen. pp. 35–45. ISBN 91-85204-10-2.
- Hildebrand, Bror Emil (1846). Anglosachsiska Mynt i Svenska Kongl. Myntkabinettet. Stockholm: P.A. Norstedt och Fils.
- Lyon, Stewart (2003). "Anglo-Saxon Numismatics". British Numismatic Journal. 73: 58–75. Archived from the original on 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2014-06-20.