|sunny Vicky sohan|
|Directed by||Kalabhavan Shajohn|
|Produced by||Listin Stephen|
|Written by||Kalabhavan Shajohn|
|Music by||4 Musics|
|Edited by||Akhilesh Mohan|
|Distributed by||Magic Frames Release|
Brother's Day is a 2019 Indian Malayalam-language family thriller film written and directed by Kalabhavan Shajohn in his directorial debut. Produced by Listin Stephen, the film stars Prithviraj Sukumaran, Prasanna, Aishwarya Lekshmi, Madonna Sebastian, Prayaga Martin and Miya George. The film marks the debut of Prasanna as actor and Dhanush as singer and lyricist in Malayalam cinema. Music for the film was composed by 4 Musics.
Principal photography began on 16 March 2019 and was completed in mid-July after a 96-day long filming. The film was released in theatres worldwide on 6 September 2019.
The story revolves around a young boy named Sohel .His father is an alcoholic and treats him very badly because he doubts about his paternity on Sohel and blames his wife for it. Later, his mother gives birth to a baby girl and dies while laboring. Shiva names her Peeli. Sohel starts taking care of his sister. He and his sister share a beautiful and soulful bond. With time, both grow and come very close to each other. One day, when Sohel returns home he sees his father's friend trying to molest her with his father's consent. In a rage of anger, he kills his father and his father's friend to save his sister. He then takes his sister and walks out of the house,but finds so many people surrounding the house. Sohel gets scared and tries to escape with Peeli, but the latter who is in a state of shock after seeing her father dying refuses to move with her brother. But Sohel escapes. Years later,the story shifts to a church where a wedding is taking place. A person named Rony(Prithviraj Sukumaran) is shown wearing a suit. Later it is shown that the wedding is for his boss. Rony is shown to be a part of the catering team. While serving people at the wedding Rony meets Jema and suspects her of crashing the wedding. He later learns that she is the daughter of his boss. They both start to like each other. Rony is then sent to pick up a tourist named Chandy by one of his friends. When he reaches the bus stop he finds Chandy on the roof of the bus. It is shown that Chandy is an alcoholic and very difficult to handle. While taking Chandi back to his friend's hotel Rony is interrupted by some local college students who try to stop him from taking tourists as his friend does not have a license. Rony gets into a fight and thrashes all the students. Later when they reach the hotel, Rony gets to know that the Chandy he brought was someone else. When Chandy, Rony, and Jema go-to hangout Rony narrates a tragic story of his life. It is shown that Rony has a sister, Ruby who is bedridden and has serious health issues. Then in a flashback, Rony explains how the incident took place. Ruby was in love with his friend and both got married and went on their honeymoon. Both are later found in the jungle where his friend has been killed by someone and his sister is in critical condition. Later, Chandy meets with an accident and breaks his left leg. Rony goes to help him and makes friends with Chandy. It is revealed that Chandi is actually a businessman. Chandi introduces his daughter, Santa to Rony. One day he takes Santa to meet his sister Ruby. When they meet he finds out about Sohel, a notorious criminal who is the reason for the death of his friend and injuries of his sister. A series of events are shown to showcase the crimes Sohel has committed. Later, it is shown that Santa is Peeli and was adopted by Chandi when she was in an orphanage.
Later it is revealed by the nuns from the orphanage where Santa grew as a child that Sohel is not her brother and her brother had passed away in an accident as he was being chased by the villagers for killing his father. Sohel comes to know of this story from a distant relative of Santa and manipultes Santa for money and to accompany him for certain crimes. Santa is blackmailed by Sohel for money. When she reaches a jungle to give Sohel money, he tries to kill her. He holds her as a hostage in a place. When Chandy and Rony come to know about all this they go in search of Santa. Rony goes into the jungle to find Santa whereas Chandi stays in the car. Rony finds Santa and tries to escape. Suddenly Sohel appears in front of Rony with his goons. Rony fights with all the goons while Sohel takes Santa. Rony rushes behind Sohel and both them start fighting. Rony hits Sohel and takes Santa with him. Sohel then tries to kill them with a rod when Chandi comes and hits him with the car. Sohel is shown smiling and then the movie shows that Ruby, is fine and Rony is taking her home. A flashback is shown where Rony kills sohel with the same rod while Shiva is smiling. In the end, it is shown that Rony, Jema, and Ruby are going on a long drive.
- Prithviraj Sukumaran as Rony
- Prasanna as Shiva
- Aishwarya Lekshmi as Santa / Peeli
- Madonna Sebastian as Jema George
- Prayaga Martin as Ruby
- Miya George as Thaneesha
- Vijayaraghavan as Kurishinkal Chandy
- Dharmajan Bolgatty as Munna / Valsan
- Kottayam Nazeer as Joy
- Vijayakumar as CI Alex Kurian
- Spadikam George as George Thomas
- Ponnamma Babu as Susanna George
- Shivaji Guruvayoor as Basheer Mohammed
- Anil Murali as Politician
- Prem Prakash as Michael
- Pauly Valsan as Valyammachi
- Kochu Preman as Priest
- Vanitha Krishnachandran as Nun
- Maala Parvathi as Basheer's Wife
- Dinesh Panicker as Davis
- Naseer Sankranthi as Police Constable
- Resmi Anil as Nun
- Anjana Appukuttan as Servant
- Vinod Kedamangalam as Marriage Broker
- Mime Gopi as Peeli's Father
- Jayasankar Karimuttam as Peeli's Father's Friend
- Eric Zachariah as Young Shiva
- Baby Kezia as Young Peeli
- Kalabhavan Shajohn as Police Officer (Guest Role)
Brother's Day marks the directorial and screenwriter debut of actor Kalabhavan Shajohn. It was at the sets of Oozham (2016) that Shajohn narrated the screenplay to Prithviraj. Shajohn had no plans of directing the film at that time. He asked Prithviraj to recommend anyone and Prithviraj encouraged Shajohn to direct the film himself and agreed to act provided that he direct. Produced by Listin Stephen, the film was made on a budget of ₹6 crore. Shajohn describes the film as a "family thriller".Miya, Aishwarya Lekshmi, Madonna Sebastian and Prayaga Martin plays the four female lead roles. The film marks the Malayalam film debut of actor Prasanna. Principal photography began on 16 March 2019. After a 96-day long shoot the film was wrapped in mid-July 2019. The film was shot in locations such as Pollachi, Kuttikkanam, Ernakulam, and Munnar.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Recorded||5 August 2019|
The music for the film was composed by the ensemble group 4 Music and Nadirshah. Dhanush penned and sung the Tamil song "Nenjodu Vinaa", marking his singing debut in Malayalam. Madhu Vasudevan, B. K. Harinarayanan, Jis Joy, Nellai Jayantha were the other lyricists.
|1.||"Nenjodu Vinaa"||Dhanush, Biby Mathew||4 Music||Dhanush||3:00|
|2.||"Chellam Chellam"||B. K. Harinarayanan||4 Music||Abhijith Kollam||4:38|
|3.||"Thalolam Thumbippennalle"||Madhu Vasudevan||4 Music||Vijay Yesudas, Zia Ul Haq, Biby Mathew, Haritha Balakrishnan, Vrinda Shameek Ghosh, Judith Ann|
- Onmanorama staff (29 August 2019). "Why Prithviraj chose to do Brother's day after Lucifer". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- George, Vijay (5 September 2019). "'Brother's Day' is a family thriller, says Kalabhavan Shajohn". The Hindu. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "Prasanna to debut in Malayalam with Brother's Day". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Prasanna debuts in Mollywood with Brother's day". The News Minute. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Prithviraj starts shooting for Brother's Day". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "'Brother's Day': Kalabhavan Shajon had a special note of thanks for Prithviraj Sukumaran as they wrapped up the film's shoot". The Times of India. 16 July 2019. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Prasanna wraps up shoot for his Malayalam debut". The Times of India. 16 July 2019. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Kalabhavan Shajon turns director with 'Brother's Day'". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Prithviraj joins the sets of Brother's Day". The New Indian Express. 4 April 2019. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- "Dhanush to make his singing debut in Malayalam with Prithviraj's 'Brother's Day'". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 27 August 2019.