Brother Rice High School (Michigan)
|Brother Rice High School|
|7101 Lahser Road|
Bloomfield Township, Michigan 48301
|Motto||Sanctitas per Scientam|
(Latin: Holiness through Knowledge)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic,|
|Color(s)||Black and Orange|
|Athletics conference||Catholic High School League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Brother Rice High School is a Roman Catholic all-boys non-residential college prep school with approximately 590 students located in Bloomfield Township, Michigan, United States in Metro Detroit. The school shares a campus with the all-girls Marian High School, Saint Regis Parish and the K-8 Saint Regis School.
The school was the site of a labor battle in 2003 and 2004 when a group of teachers attempted to unionize. However, a state court ruled that state labor and union boards have no jurisdiction over private religious schools.
The Brother Rice Warriors are also known for their tradition of excellence in athletics having won 72 state championships since their first title, the 1974 basketball championship. The lacrosse team has won the state title 24 times including the last 15 straight years and was the 2008 Inside Lacrosse National Champion.
The debate team has won 14 state championships and placed first in the world in the 2007 United Nations Foundation and International Debate Education Association (IDEA) Global Debates.
- B. J. Armstrong '85 - retired pro basketball player, NBA champion
- Matt Baker '01 - NFL player
- Mike Bouchard '74 - Oakland County Sheriff
- Brian Brennan '80 - retired NFL player
- Eugene Cordero - comedian
- Brad Galli '07 - sports reporter, WXYZ
- Paul Grant '92 - former NBA basketball player
- Chris Hansen '77 - TV journalist, NBC's To Catch a Predator
- John James '99 - businessman and Republican 2018 candidate for United States Senate in Michigan
- Andy Juett - comedian
- Bob Kula '85 - professional football player
- TJ Lang '05 - NFL player for Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions
- David M. Lawson '69 - federal judge
- DJ LeMahieu '07 - Major League Baseball player, 2016 NL batting champion
- Mike Lodish '85 - retired NFL player, 2-time Super Bowl champion
- Thomas Lynch - poet
- Matthew Milia '04 and David Jones '03 - folk musicians Frontier Ruckus
- David Morrow '89 - founder of Warrior Sports
- Gerald McGowan '64 - former US Ambassador to Portugal
- Nick Plummer '15 - Major League Baseball player for St. Louis Cardinals
- Zip Rzeppa '70 - TV sportscaster, author, speaker
- John Shasky '82 - former NBA basketball player
- Thomas Sugrue '80 - scholar and historian
- Gemara Williams '01 - retired NFL player
Notes and references
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "Bloomfield Township Street Map." (Archive) Bloomfield Township, Oakland County. Retrieved on July 30, 2013.
- "MEA forgoes appeal in Brother Rice case". Education Report. December 15, 2005. Archived from the original on May 31, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-08-04. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "50-in-50: Top 50 boys basketball players in Oakland County over the past 50 years - THE COMPLETE LIST WITH PHOTO GALLERY". MIPrepZone. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Renk's Interview With Candidate For the U.S. Senate, John James". WCBK. Retrieved May 5, 2018.