|The Brothers Hildebrandt|
|Born||Greg and Tim Hildebrandt
January 23, 1939
Detroit, Michigan, US
June 11, 2006 (aged 67) New Brunswick, NJ, US
|Awards||Lifetime Chesley Award (Greg)
World Fantasy Award for Best Artist (Tim)
Greg and Tim Hildebrandt, known as the Brothers Hildebrandt (born January 23, 1939 in Detroit, Michigan), are American twin brothers who worked collaboratively as fantasy and science fiction artists for many years. They produced illustrations for comic books, movie posters, children's books, posters, novels, calendars, advertisements, and trading cards. Tim Hildebrandt died in June 2006.
Greg and Tim Hildebrandt began painting professionally in 1959 as the Brothers Hildebrandt. They are best known for their popular The Lord of the Rings calendar illustrations, painting the first bilingual Star Wars film poster, illustrating comics for Marvel Comics and DC Comics, original oil paintings for a limited edition of Terry Brooks's The Sword of Shannara, and their Magic: The Gathering and Harry Potter illustrations for Wizards of the Coast.
With co-author Jerry Nichols, the Hildebrandt brothers created the 1979 fantasy novel Urshurak.
Greg Hildebrandt, Jr. also made major contributions to the production of a book entitled Greg & Tim Hildebrandt: The Tolkien Years, which gave an overview of the Tolkien genre artworks produced by Greg and Tim in the 1970s.
Individually, Greg is also known for his contributions to the art for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's albums and concert merchandise. He also provided the cover art for Black Sabbath's Mob Rules album. He started his American Beauties pinup art in 1999.
Tim Hildebrandt illustrated children's books, two Dungeons & Dragons calendars, and the poster for the film The Secret of NIMH; his art was also used in advertising by AT&T and Levi's. Tim was also Associate Producer of the horror-themed science fiction film, The Deadly Spawn. Tim Hildebrandt died on June 11, 2006 at the age of 67 due to complications of diabetes.
Tim won the 1992 World Fantasy Award for Best Artist. In 2010 Greg Hildebrandt received the Chesley Award for Lifetime Artistic Achievement from the Association of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists.
- "United States Social Security Death Index", index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JGXM-66D), Timothy M Hildebrandt, June 11, 2006. Citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing). Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- The Art of The Brothers Hildebrandt
- Star Wars Bilingual poster, at FilmPosters
- Greg And Tim Hildebrandt, The Tolkien Years, Google Books
- "Mob Rules creative credits at Black Sabbath website".
- "Tim Hildebrandt; illustrator famed for 'Star Wars', 'Rings'". San Diego Union-Tribune. Knight Ridder News Service. June 25, 2006. Retrieved 2010-08-21.
- The Deadly Spawn Homepage
- "The Locus Index to SF Awards: 1992 World Fantasy Awards". Locus. Archived from the original on 2013-09-20. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "2010 Chesley Award Winners". Association of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists. Retrieved 2012-01-07.
- Other sources
- Official website (no update since notice of Tim's death, apparently 2016-09-26)
- Spider Web Art Gallery (Greg Hildebrandt)
- Brothers Hildebrandt at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database – with links to Greg and Tim
- Greg Hildebrandt at Library of Congress Authorities, with 55 catalog records (some as Gregg or Gregory)
- Works by or about Greg Hildebrandt in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Tim Hildebrandt at LC Authorities, with 36 records
- Works by or about Tim Hildebrandt in libraries (WorldCat)
- Greg Hildebrandt at Pen & Paper role-playing game database at the Wayback Machine (archived February 15, 2005)
- Tim Hildebrandt at Pen & Paper at the Wayback Machine (archived February 15, 2005)