Brought by the Sea
|Brought by the Sea|
|Directed by||Nesli Çölgeçen|
|Produced by||Ömer Can
|Written by||Ersin Kana|
Jordan Deniz Boyner
|Music by||Kemal Sahir Gürel
|Edited by||Ahmet Can Çakırca|
Brought by the Sea (Turkish: Denizden Gelen) is a 2010 Turkish drama film, directed by Nesli Çölgeçen, about an ex-cop who accidentally kills an African immigrant and retreats with a guilty conscience back to his hometown. The film, which went on nationwide general release across Turkey on April 16, 2010 , has been shown at International film festivals in Istanbul, Moscow and Adana, where it won the Grand Jury "Yılmaz Güney" Best Picture prize.
Halil (Onur Saylak) is a cop who accidentally kills an African illegal immigrant; he resigns and retires with a guilty conscience back to his hometown. Jordan (Jordan Deniz Boyner) is a five-year-old boy from Ghana whose mother is killed in an accident in Dalyan as they try to cross illegally to Greece. When Halil finds Jordan, their destinies intersect.
The film opened on general release in 34 screens across Turkey on
- April 16, 2010
- 29th International Istanbul Film Festival (April 3–18, 2010)
- 32nd International Moscow Film Festival (June 17–26, 2010)
- 17th Adana "Golden Boll" International Film Festival
Emine Yıdırım, writing in Today's Zaman, says this is, "a film which aims to say a lot", and, "indeed underlines the dire situation of the thousands of refugees that try to cross the borders of Turkey and Greece", but, "while achieving some of its ambitions, specifically those of the political and worldly context, Brought by the Sea unfortunately disappoints on some very crucial emotional points."
- 17th Adana "Golden Boll" International Film Festival (September 20–26, 2010) Grand Jury "Yılmaz Güney" Best Picture (won)
- "This week in theaters". Today's Zaman. 2010-04-17. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- "Turkish film to be premiered in Moscow". Hürriyet Daily News. 2010-05-16. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- "BROUGHT BY THE SEA / DENİZDEN GELEN". IIFF. Archived from the original on 2010-07-13. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- "Denizden Gelen". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- Yıdırım, Emine (2010-04-04). "İstanbul Film Festival -- Oh yes, it’s finally that time of the year!". Today's Zaman. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- "BROUGHT BY THE SEA / DENİZDEN GELEN". MIFF. Archived from the original on 2010-09-05. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- "BROUGHT BY THE SEA / DENİZDEN GELEN". AKFF. Retrieved 2010-09-27.[permanent dead link]
- Yıdırım, Emine (2010-04-22). "‘Brought by the Sea’ a disappointing take on the plight of refugees". Today's Zaman. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- "Turkey's Golden Boll film festival draws to a close". Hürriyet Daily News. 2010-09-26. Retrieved 2010-09-24.