Location of Browerville, Minnesota
|• Total||1.06 sq mi (2.75 km2)|
|• Land||1.06 sq mi (2.75 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,283 ft (391 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||753|
|• Density||750/sq mi (290/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0640527|
Browerville was platted in 1882, and after Jacob V. Brower (1844–1905), a county official. Browerville was incorporated in 1884. Two properties in town are on the National Register of Historic Places: the Kahlert Mercantile Store (built in 1883) and the Church of St. Joseph (completed in 1909).
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 790 people, 326 households, and 196 families residing in the city. The population density was 745.3 inhabitants per square mile (287.8/km2). There were 366 housing units at an average density of 345.3 per square mile (133.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.3% White, 0.6% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 1.8% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.8% of the population.
There were 326 households of which 31.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.2% were married couples living together, 16.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.9% were non-families. 34.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.95.
The median age in the city was 37.8 years. 26.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.3% were from 25 to 44; 24.8% were from 45 to 64; and 17.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.1% male and 51.9% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 735 people, 318 households, and 181 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,052.5 people per square mile (405.4/km²). There were 337 housing units at an average density of 482.6 per square mile (185.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.23% White, 0.54% Native American, 0.54% Asian, 0.14% from other races, and 0.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.95% of the population.
There were 318 households out of which 27.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.5% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.8% were non-families. 41.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 27.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the city, the population was spread out with 25.3% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 23.1% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 22.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 78.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 72.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $26,250, and the median income for a family was $48,393. Males had a median income of $35,208 versus $24,375 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,493. About 10.9% of families and 15.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.0% of those under age 18 and 17.3% of those age 65 or over.
The current mayor is Bob Heid (elected 2014).
Browerville Public Schools are part of the Browerville Public School District. The public school contains an elementary and high school that are attached and located in the city of Browerville, at 620 Park Avenue North. The average class size ranges between 40 and 55 students. Athletically, Browerville sports use Tigers as their mascot. In fall, football and volleyball are offered. In winter, boys basketball, girls basketball, and wrestling are offered. In spring, softball, baseball, boys and girls golf, and boys and girls track are offered. Along with that, cheerleading is offered in fall and winter. The mascot used to be the Broncos when they were paired with differing school districts for sports, but now they stick with the tigers.
Christ the King Catholic Church runs a parochial K-6 school, located at 750 North Main Street. Christ the King resulted in the combination of the two historical Roman Catholic parishes in Browerville: St. Joseph (Polish) and St. Peter (German). The initiative to combine the parishes was taken by the Diocese of St. Cloud, rather than by the faithful of these two parishes.
- LaVyrle Spencer, best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels; born in Browerville.
- Joseph Kiselewski, sculptor; born in Browerville.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 543.
- "City of Browerville Minnesota". City of Browerville Minnesota. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Minnesota National Register Properties Database". Minnesota Historical Society. 2009. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- Minnesota Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Me.: DeLorme. 1994. p. 53. ISBN 0-89933-222-6.
- "Browerville Public School District". Browerville Public School District. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "LaVyrle Spencer". IMDb. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Joseph Kiselewski". Smithsonian American Art Museum. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- City of Browerville Minnesota
- Browerville Public School District
- ePodunk: Profile for Browerville, Minnesota, MN