|Eupsittula pertinax arubensis in Aruba|
Psittacus pertinax, Aratinga pertinax Linnaeus, 1758
The brown-throated parakeet is mostly green, with the lower parts being a lighter green than the upperparts. Black/grey beak. Some blue in the wing feathers. Head and face colors depend on the subspecies. Though most subspecies are brown-throated, both E. p. pretax and E. p. pathogenic have most of the head, including the throat, orange-yellow. It is not to be confused with the similarly-named extinct Brown-headed parakeet of Raiatea in the Society Islands (Tahiti and its neighbors), more commonly known as the Society parakeet. It interacts with abiotic features as well, like rocks. They use it as their platform mostly for singing and dancing.
Distribution and habitat
It is found widely in woodland, savanna and scrub in northern South America in Colombia, Venezuela, the Guianas, the ABC islands in the Netherlands Antilles, and northern Brazil (mainly the Rio Negro/Branco region) with a disjunct population in south-western Pará. Another disjunct population is found in southern Central America in Panama and Costa Rica, and is sometimes considered a separate species, the Veraguas parakeet (A. ocularis). The brown-throated parakeet has been introduced to Puerto Rico (where now possibly extirpated), the U.S. Virgin Islands (mainly Saint Thomas, hence the alternative name Saint Thomas Conure), and various other islands in the Lesser Antilles (at least Dominica; recent sightings also from Martinique and Guadeloupe).
There are several subspecies which have varying colours particularly of the crown, face and underparts.
Eupsittula pertinax (Linnaeus, 1758):
- Eupsittula pertinax aeruginosa (Linnaeus, 1758)
- Eupsittula pertinax arubensis (Hartert, 1892)
- Eupsittula pertinax chrysogenys (Massena & Souance, 1854)
- Eupsittula pertinax chrysophrys (Swainson, 1838)
- Eupsittula pertinax griseipecta Meyer de Schauensee, 1950
- Eupsittula pertinax lehmanni Dugand, 1943
- Eupsittula pertinax margaritensis (Cory, 1918)
- Eupsittula pertinax ocularis (Sclater, PL, 1865)
- Eupsittula pertinax paraensis Sick, 1959
- Eupsittula pertinax pertinax (Linnaeus, 1758)
- Eupsittula pertinax surinama Zimmer & Phelps, WH, 1951
- Eupsittula pertinax tortugensis (Cory, 1909)
- Eupsittula pertinax venezuelae Zimmer & Phelps, WH, 1951
- Eupsittula pertinax xanthogenia (Bonaparte, 1850)
- BirdLife International (2012). "Aratinga pertinax". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2012. Retrieved 16 July 2012.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)old-form url
- "Zoological Nomenclature Resource: Psittaciformes (Version 9.013)". www.zoonomen.net. 2008-12-29.
- "Brown-throated parakeet - BirdLife Species Factsheet". BirdLife International (2008). Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- "Brown-throated parakeet - avibase Species". avibase.
- "Brown-throated parakeet - IUCNredlist Species". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
|This article relating to parrots is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|