Brown Township, Champaign County, Illinois
Location in Champaign County
Champaign County's location in Illinois
|• Total||36.35 sq mi (94.1 km2)|
|• Land||36.22 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.13 sq mi (0.3 km2) 0.36%|
|Elevation||735 ft (224 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||2,042|
|• Density||55.1/sq mi (21.3/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Brown Township was formed from a portion of East Bend Township in September, 1869.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.35 square miles (94.1 km2), of which 36.22 square miles (93.8 km2) (or 99.64%) is land and 0.13 square miles (0.34 km2) (or 0.36%) is water.
Cities and towns
The city of Fisher lies in the southeast corner of the township; portions of the town extend into neighboring townships, but the majority is in Brown Township. The small town of Foosland is in the western part of the township along the route of the Norfolk Southern railroad.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
U.S. Route 136 passes through Fisher and runs along the entire southern border of the township. Illinois State Route 47 passes through the township on its route from Mahomet in the south to Gibson City (in neighboring Ford County) in the north. Illinois State Route 54 passes from southwest to northeast through the far northwestern corner of the township on its route from Farmer City (in DeWitt County) to Gibson City.
A Norfolk Southern Railway line passes through the township, connecting Bement with Gibson City.
- "Brown Township, Champaign County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.