Brown Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Brown Township, Darke County, Ohio|
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio
|• Total||29.7 sq mi (76.8 km2)|
|• Land||29.6 sq mi (76.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,004 ft (306 m)|
|• Density||70/sq mi (27.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086011|
Brown Township is one of the twenty townships of Darke County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,073 people in the township, 899 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Allen Township - north
- York Township - northeast
- Richland Township - southeast
- Greenville Township - south
- Washington Township - southwest corner
- Jackson Township - west
The village of Ansonia is located in eastern Brown Township.
Name and history
One of the flattest townships in Darke County, it was very swampy; the land was only drained in the 1870s, well after the completion of a similar process in the county's other townships.>:566 Despite the wetness of the terrain, the first settler in the township, John Woodington, arrived prior to 1817, and the township's first church (a Church of Christ) and school were established in 1827.:567 The township was founded in December 1833; up to this point, it had been a part of Washington Township.:566
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Ed Huff, Jr., Gregory Knick, and Kent Kimmel, and the clerk is Linda Wood.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Brown township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Brown township, Brown township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Wilson, Frazer Ells (1914). History of Darke County, Ohio, from its earliest settlement to the present time, Vol. 1. Milford, Ohio: Hobart Publishing Company. p. 565.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees Archived June 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.