Brown Township, Franklin County, Ohio
|Brown Township, Ohio|
Location of Brown Township in Franklin County.
|• Total||21.7 sq mi (56 km2)|
|• Land||21.4 sq mi (55 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||942 ft (287 m)|
|• Density||110/sq mi (41/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086099|
Brown Township is one of the seventeen townships of Franklin County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,293 people in the township, 2,249 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township - northeast
- Norwich Township - east
- Prairie Township - south
- Jefferson Township, Madison County - southwest
- Canaan Township, Madison County - northwest
Name and history
The township was organized in 1830.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for County Subdivisions". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population and Household Counts for Governmental Units: 2010, 2000, 1990". Ohio Department of Development. August 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.