Browncroft Historic District
Browncroft Historic District
One of the historic street signposts at the corner of Ramsey Park and Corwin Road
|Location||Roughly bounded by Browncroft Blvd., Newcastle, Blossom, and Winton Rds., Rochester, New York|
|Area||116 acres (47 ha)|
|Built||1914 - 1933|
|Architect||Browncroft Realty Corp. (landscape), Gordon & Kaelber, et al. (homes)|
|Architectural style||Prairie Style, Tudor revival, Georgian revival, Colonial revival|
|NRHP Reference #||04000346|
|Added to NRHP||April 20, 2004|
The Browncroft Historic District is a national historic district located in the Browncroft Neighborhood of Rochester, New York. The district contains 518 contributing buildings, two contributing sites, two contributing objects, and two contributing structures over 116 acres. It includes 417 residential properties constructed between 1914 and World War II.
The neighborhood's original developer, Charles J. Brown, former president of the National Nurserymen's Association, gave it its name. It was declared a National Historic District and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. The district is "recognized for the architectural integrity of the homes, a landscape design that features uniform plantings of flowering shrubs and shade trees, and its role in the development of Rochester."
The historic district includes only certain designated properties located in a subsection of the neighborhood approximately circumscribed by Browncroft Boulevard on the North, Newcastle Road on the east, Blossom Road on the south, and Winton Road on the west.
Unofficial landmarks within the historic district include:
- Two of the development's original wrought iron street signposts (Located at the corner of Ramsey Park and Corwin Road ( ) and at the corner of Windemere and Newcastle Roads ( )).
- The house at 273 Dorchester Road ( ) which contains columns from the original nursery office before its demolition.
- The house at 540 North Winton Road ( which later served as Brown's home. ), the original farmhouse of Steven M. Corwin,
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Browncroft Neighborhood Association. "Browncroft Historic District". Rochester, New York. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- Robert T. Englert (September 2003). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Browncroft Historic District". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2011-05-14. See also: "Accompanying 40 photos".
- "Browncroft earns place on historic register", Democrat and Chronicle, Rochester, New York, pp. 1B, 2004-05-04, ISSN 1088-5153, OCLC 5757784
- Peck, William F. (1908), History of Rochester and Monroe county, New York, from the earliest historic times to the beginning of 1907, 1, The Pioneer Publishing Company, p. 570, OCLC 3740785