Browns (fashion boutique)
|Founder||Joan & Sidney Burstein|
Browns is a fashion boutique based in London, England. It was founded by Joan Burstein and husband Sidney in 1970. The flagship store is on London's South Molton Street. In 2015, Browns was acquired by London online fashion company Farfetch.
Joan Burstein founded Browns with her late husband, Sidney, in 1970. Initially a small boutique housed on the ground floor at 27 South Molton Street, Browns grew rapidly expanding through five connecting Georgian townhouses. Their daughter Caroline Burstein founded Molton Brown before joining Browns as creative director in 1993. Their son Simon Burstein became CEO.
Known for discovering talents such as John Galliano, Alexander McQueen and Christopher Kane, it also brought designers such as Calvin Klein, Sabine G., Armani, Ralph Lauren and Jil Sander to London. Browns has continued to support both young and established fashion designers.
In May 2015, Browns passed from family ownership when it was acquired by the fashion website Farfetch. Joan Burnstein stayed on as honorary chair and her son and daughter Simon and Caroline retained seats on the board.
Browns includes Brownsfashion.com, Browns at 23-27 South Molton Street with Browns Focus at number 24, Browns at 160 Sloane Street and bridalwear stores Browns Bride, 12 Hinde Street and Vera Wang at Browns, 59 Brook Street. In October 2017, Browns East opened in East London
- Clark, Andrew (13 May 2015). "Farfetch has an eye for talent and buys Browns fashion boutique". The Times. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Caroline Burstein". showstudio.com. SHOWstudio. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "In Conversation with Mrs Joan Burstein CBE". vam.ac.uk. Victoria & Albert Museum. Archived from the original on 2015-05-18. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- Grant, Linda (26 November 2006). "Three Cheers for Mrs B". Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on 2015-05-18. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Joan Burnstein". Vogue. March 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- Jones, Dolly (9 April 2010). "Mr Burnstein remembered". Vogue. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- Hounslea, Tara (12 May 2015). "Farfetch acquires London boutique Browns". Drapers. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- Binkley, Christina (12 May 2015). "Online Retailer Farfetch Buys London's Browns Fashion Boutique". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 13 May 2015.