Broxbourne (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Broxbourne in Hertfordshire
Location of Hertfordshire within England
|Population||98,790 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||71,872 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||vacant|
|Number of members||one|
|Created from||Hertfordshire East|
Welwyn and Hatfield
Hertford and Stevenage
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
Just beyond the outer limits of Greater London, the seat consists almost exclusively of low unemployment census output areas, with walks, golf courses and leisure facilities and a relatively high proportion compared to Greater London of the retired and high-income self-employed, Broxbourne's economy is also supported by good links to the City of London by train.
Boundaries and boundary changes
1983-1997: The Borough of Broxbourne, the District of East Hertfordshire wards of Great Amwell, Little Amwell, and Stanstead, and the District of Welwyn Hatfield ward of Northaw.
Formed as a Borough Constituency primarily from parts of the abolished County Constituency of East Hertfordshire, mainly consisting of the former Urban Districts of Cheshunt and Hoddesdon which had been combined to form the District of Broxbourne under the local government reorganisation of 1974 and also including Stanstead Abbotts and Great Amwell to the north and Northaw (transferred from Welwyn Hatfield) to the west.
The three District of East Hertfordshire wards were transferred to Hertford and Stortford.
Changes proposed by the Boundary Commission
The Boundary Commission for England submitted their final proposals in respect of the Sixth Periodic Review of Westminster Constituencies (the 2018 review) in September 2018 which would reduce the total number of MPs from 650 to 600. Although the proposals were immediately laid before Parliament they were not brought forward by the Government for approval. Accordingly, they will not come into effect for the 2019 election due to take place on 12 December 2019, which will be contested using the constituency boundaries in place since 2010. .
In order to bring the constituency within the required electoral range, the Commission have recommended that the District of East Hertfordshire ward of Great Amwell be transferred back from Hertford and Stortford.
Members of Parliament
|1983||Dame Marion Roe||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
Candidates listed in alphabetical order of surname.
|Liberal Democrat||Julia Bird|
|Brexit Party||Maximilian Jackson|
|Labour||Sean Waters |
|Liberal Democrat||Andy Graham||1,481||3.1||0.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Anthony Rowlands||1,467||3.2||10.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Allan Witherick||6,107||13.4||1.1|
|UKIP||Martin J. Harvey||1,890||4.1||0.5|
|English Democrat||Debbie Lemay||618||1.4||1.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Porrer||4,973||12.2||1.2|
|UKIP||Martin J. Harvey||1,479||3.6||1.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Julia Davies||4,158||11.0||0.3|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Julia Davies||5,310||11.3||4.7|
|National Liberal Party||Benjamin Alexander Cheetham||172||0.4||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Julia Davies||9,244||16.0||3.9|
|Natural Law||George Woolhouse||198||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Broxbourne: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Broxbourne', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 11 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Politics". the Guardian.
- "OpenStreetMap". OpenStreetMap.
- "Local statistics". Office for National Statistics.
- "National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables". www.nationalrail.co.uk.
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 1983". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 1995". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 2007". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- Boundary Commission for England, 2018 Review, Associated consultation documents (September 2018). "Final recommendations report". Archived from the original on 2019-02-15.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Broxbourne 1983-". Hansard 1803-2005. UK Parliament. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 6)
- "Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Candidates". Mark Pack. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Prospective General Election Candidates". Green Party. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Broxbourne Labour Party Prospective Candidate Sean Waters". Broxbourne Labour Party.
- "Announcement of Prospective Candidacy". Sean Waters. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "UK Parliamentary Election: Broxbourne Constituency: Statement of persons nominated and notice of poll" (PDF). Broxbourne Borough Council. 11 May 2017. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Broxbourne". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- nomis Constituency Profile for Broxbourne — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.