Broxbourne (UK Parliament constituency)
|Former Borough constituency
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Broxbourne in Hertfordshire.
Location of Hertfordshire within England.
|Population||98,790 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||71,872 (December 2010)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Hertfordshire East
Welwyn and Hatfield
Hertford and Stevenage
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
1983-1997: The Borough of Broxbourne, the District of East Hertfordshire wards of Great Amwell, Little Amwell, and Stanstead, and the District of Welwyn Hatfield ward of Northaw.
1997–present: The Borough of Broxbourne, and the District of Welwyn Hatfield ward of Northaw.
The constituency was created in 1983 from the former seat of East Hertfordshire.
Just beyond the outer limits of Greater London, the seat consists almost exclusively of low unemployment census output areas, with walks, golf courses and leisure facilities and a relatively high proportion compared to Greater London of the retired and high-income self-employed, Broxbourne's economy is also supported by good links to the City of London by train.
Members of Parliament
|1983||Dame Marion Roe||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Anthony Rowlands||1,467||3.2||−10.2|
|Conservative||Charles Ashley Rupert Walker||26,844||58.8||+4.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Allan Witherick||6,107||13.4||+1.1|
|UKIP||Martin J. Harvey||1,890||4.1||+0.5|
|English Democrat||Debbie Lemay||618||1.4||+1.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|Conservative||Charles Ashley Rupert Walker||21,878||53.8||−0.3|
|Labour||Jamie Duncan Bolden||10,369||25.5||−4.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew James Robert Porrer||4,973||12.2||+1.2|
|UKIP||Martin J. Harvey||1,479||3.6||+1.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Julia Mary Davies||4,158||11.0||−0.3|
|BNP||John Arthur Cope||848||2.2||+0.9|
Elections in the 1990s
|Labour||Benjamin Joh Coleman||16,299||34.7||+13.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Julia Mary Davies||5,310||11.3||−4.7|
|Referendum||David Simon Millward||1,633||3.5||N/A|
|BNP||David James Bruce||610||1.3||N/A|
|Independent||Brent Alec Cheetham||172||0.4||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Julia Mary Davies||9,244||16.0||−3.9|
|Natural Law||George Woolhouse||198||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|Liberal||Mrs. Eunice Yates||10,572||19.9||−3.9|
|Labour||Philip Wyn Parry||8,984||16.9||+0.5|
|Liberal||Brian Raymond Pollock||11,862||23.8||N/A|
|Labour||Martin John Stears||8,159||16.4||N/A|
|BNP||John Reginald Smith||502||1.0||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Broxbourne: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Broxbourne', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Guardian 2010 mini-profile
- Open Street Map
- 2001 Census
- Association of Train Operating Companies, Official Timetable
- "Broxbourne 1983-". Hansard 1803-2005. UK Parliament. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 6)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Broxbourne". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- nomis Constituency Profile for Broxbourne — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.