Broxbourne (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Broxbourne in Hertfordshire.
Location of Hertfordshire within England.
|Population||98,790 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||71,872 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Charles Walker (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
Broxbourne constituency was created in 1983 from the former seat of East Hertfordshire. It includes the whole of the borough of Broxbourne together with the ward of Northaw in Welwyn Hatfield, directly north of the borough.
Latest boundary review
Following the national review and recommendations of the Boundary Commission no change was made to the seat of Broxbourne, which continues to link the Welywn Hatfield electoral ward of Northaw with the borough of Broxbourne.
Just beyond the outer limits of Greater London, the seat consists almost exclusively of low unemployment census output areas, with walks, golf courses and leisure facilities and a relatively high proportion compared to Greater London of the retired and high-income self-employed, Broxbourne's economy is also supported by good links to the City of London by train.
Members of Parliament
|1983||Dame Marion Roe||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Broxbourne|
|Liberal Democrat||Anthony Rowlands||1,467||3.2||−10.2|
|General Election 2010: Broxbourne|
|Liberal Democrat||Allan Witherick||6,107||13.4||+1.1|
|UKIP||Martin J. Harvey||1,890||4.1||+0.5|
|English Democrats||Debbie Lemay||618||1.4||+1.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Broxbourne|
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Porrer||4,973||12.2||+1.2|
|UKIP||Martin J. Harvey||1,479||3.6||+1.3|
|General Election 2001: Broxbourne|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Julia Mary Davies||4,158||11.0||−0.3|
|BNP||John Arthur Cope||848||2.2||+0.9|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Broxbourne|
|Labour||Benjamin J. Coleman||16,299||34.7||+13.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Julia Mary Davies||5,310||11.3||−4.7|
|Referendum Party||David S. Millward||1,633||3.5||N/A|
|BNP||David J. Bruce||610||1.3||N/A|
|Independent||Brent A. Cheetham||172||0.4||N/A|
|General Election 1992: Broxbourne|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Julia Mary Davies||9,244||16.0||−3.9|
|Natural Law||George Woolhouse||198||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Broxbourne|
|Liberal||Mrs. Eunice Yates||10,572||19.9||−3.9|
|Labour||Philip Wyn Parry||8,984||16.9||+0.5|
|General Election 1983: Broxbourne|
|Labour||Martin J. Stears||8,159||16.4||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Broxbourne: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Guardian 2010 mini-profile
- Open Street Map
- 2001 Census
- Association of Train Operating Companies, Official Timetable
- "Broxbourne 1983-". Hansard 1803-2005. UK Parliament. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 6)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Broxbourne". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- nomis Constituency Profile for Broxbourne — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.