Bruce Crossing, Michigan
|Bruce Crossing, Michigan|
Downtown Bruce Crossing
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Elevation||1,138 ft (347 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||622123|
Bruce Crossing is an unincorporated community in Ontonagon County, Michigan, United States. Bruce Crossing is located in Stannard Township at the junction of US Highway 45 and M-28, 24.5 miles (39.4 km) south-southeast of Ontonagon. Bruce Crossing has a post office with ZIP code 49912.
Bruce Crossing was first settled by August Neuman, who built a sawmill at the location. The community was originally named Bruce's Crossing when its post office opened on March 5, 1888. The name came from the first postmaster, Donald M. Bruce, who owned a store at the crossing of the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway and the old Military Road. It was shortened to Bruce Crossing on August 13, 1891.
July is typically the warmest month in Bruce Crossing, when highs average 77 °F (25 °C) and lows average 53 °F (12 °C). January is coldest, when the high temperatures average 19 °F (-7 °C) and the lows average -1 °F (-18 °C). The highest recorded temperature was 97 °F (36 °C) in 1975, and the lowest was -43 °F (−42 °C) in 1951.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bruce Crossing, Michigan
- Ontonagon County (pdf) (Map). Michigan Department of Technology, Management and Budget. 2010. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- ZIP Code Lookup, United States Post Office
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- "Intellicast - Bruce Crossing Historic Weather Averages in Michigan (49912)". www.intellicast.com. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
|This Ontonagon County, Michigan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|