Bruce L. Gordon
Bruce L. Gordon is a Canadian philosopher of science (physics), metaphysician and philosopher of religion.
Early life and education
Gordon earned two undergraduate degrees, one in piano performance at the Royal Conservatory of Music at the University of Toronto in 1982 and another in applied mathematics at the University of Calgary in 1986. He was awarded a masters degree in analytic philosophy from the University of Calgary in 1988. He moved to the United States for graduate study in 1988, and has been a permanent resident ever since. In 1990, Gordon received a masters degree in apologetics and systematic theology from Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia. Finally, he was awarded a Ph.D. from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois in the history and philosophy of science (physics) in 1998.
He was a visiting assistant professor of philosophy at the University of Notre Dame and a Fellow in the Center for Philosophy of Religion at Notre Dame in 1998-99. In 1999 he became associate director of William Dembski's short-lived Michael Polanyi Center at Baylor University, and became its director on Dembski's removal. The Michael Polanyi Center was later renamed and reconstituted within the Baylor Institute for Faith and Learning, where Gordon was an Assistant Research Professor.
He has since left to become Research Director at the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture. Gordon is a known proponent of intelligent design and Fellow of the International Society for Complexity, Information and Design (ISCID). He was the managing editor of the moribund Access Research Network journal Origin and Design, as of its last issue (20:1) and an associate editor of the likewise moribund ISCID journal. In April 2010 Gordon was named Associate Professor of Science and Mathematics at The King’s College, New York.
- Curriculum Vitae at the Wayback Machine (archived February 2, 2007)
- Professors debate legitimacy of Polanyi
- Polyani Center's future is unclear at the Wayback Machine (archived July 14, 2003)
- A Few Words about a Long-Winded Breach of Etiquette, Evolution News & Views, Discovery Institute
- Forrest & Gross(2004), p176
- Forrest & Gross(2004), p213
- About King's: Dr. Bruce L. Gordon Named Associate Professor, The King's College (New York)
- Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics and the Metaphysics of Modality, Bruce L. Gordon
- Fock Space metaphysics, Bruce L. Gordon
- The Nature of Nature: Examining the Role of Naturalism in Science, Bruce L. Gordon and William A. Dembski, editors. Contains three essays by Gordon: "The Rise of Naturalism and Its Problematic Role in Science and Culture," "A Quantum-Theoretic Argument against Naturalism," and "Balloons on a String: A Critique of Multiverse Cosmology."
- Inflationary Cosmology and the String Multiverse, New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy, by Robert J. Spitzer, contains a substantial appendix by Bruce Gordon on inflationary cosmology and the string landscape hypothesis.