Bruce McMillan (born in 1947) is a contemporary American author of children books and a photo-illustrator living in Shapleigh, Maine. Born in Massachusetts, he grew up in Bangor, Maine, and Kennebunkport, Maine, and received a degree in biology from the University of Maine. His interest in biology is often reflected in his books' topics.
One of his most noted works is Nights of the Pufflings (1995), set to the Icelandic island of Heimaey. The story introduces a local children tradition of rescuing young birds, pufflings, who take their first flight on August nights, and get accidentally stranded in the village streets. The children then set them free at the beach at daytime.
Several of McMillan's books were translated into other languages, Icelandic, German or Korean.
- How the Ladies Stopped the Wind, Houghton Mifflin, 2007 (illustrated by Gunnella)
- The Problem with Chickens, Houghton Mifflin, Salka, 2005 (illustrated by Gunnella)
- Going Fishing, Houghton Mifflin, Salka, 2005
- Days of the Ducklings, Houghton Mifflin, 2001
- Gletta the Foal, Cavendish, 1998
- Salmon Summer, Houghton Mifflin, 1998
- Wild Flamingos, Houghton Mifflin, 1997
- My Horse of the North, Scholastic, 1997
- The Picture that Mom Drew, Walker, 1997 - by Mallat and McMillan
- Jelly Beans for Sale, Scholastic, 1996
- Grandfather's Trolley, Candlewick, 1995
- Summer Ice: Life along the Antarctic Peninsula, Houghton Mifflin, 1995
- Puffins Climb, Penguins Rhyme, Harcourt, 1995
- Nights of the Pufflings, Houghton Mifflin, 1995
- Sense Suspense: A Guessing Game for the Five Senses, Scholastic, 1994
- Penguins at Home: Gentoos of Antarctica, Houghton Mifflin, 1993
- A Beach for the Birds. Houghton Mifflin, 1993
- Mouse Views: What the Class Pet Saw , Holiday House, 1993
- Going on a Whale Watch, Scholastic, 1992
- Beach Ball - Left Right, Holiday House, 1992 and Apple Island Books, 1998
- The Baby Zoo, Scholastic, 1992 and Apple Island Books, 1998
- Eating Fractions, Scholastic, 1991
- Play Day: A Book of Terse Verse, Holiday House, 1991 and Apple Island Books, 1998
- The Weather Sky, Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 1991
- One Two One Pair!, Scholastic, 1991 and Apple Island Books
- Mary Had a Little Lamb, Scholastic, 1990 and Apple Island Books, 1998
- One Sun: A Book of Terse Verse, Holiday House, 1990 and Apple Island Books, 1998
- Time To..., Scholastic, 1989
- Everything Grows, Crown, 1989
- Super, Super, Superwords, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1989
- Fire Engine Shapes, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1988
- Growing Colors, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1988 and Apple Island Books
- Dry or Wet?, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1988
- Step by Step, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1987 and Apple Island Books, 1995
- Becca Backward, Becca Frontward: A Book of Concept Pairs, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1986
- Counting Wildflowers, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1986
- Kitten Can..., Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1984
- Here a Chick, There a Chick, Lothrop, Lee & Shepard, 1983
- Ghost Doll, Houghton Mifflin, 1983 and Apple Island Books, 1997
- Puniddles, Houghton Mifflin, 1982
- Making Sneakers, Houghton Mifflin, 1980
- Apples: How They Grow, Houghton Mifflin, 1979 and Apple Island Books
- The Remarkable Riderless Runaway Tricycle, Houghton Mifflin, 1978 and Apple Island Books, 1985
- The Alphabet Symphony, Greenwillow, 1977 and Apple Island Books, 1984
- Finestkind o' Day: Lobstering in Maine, Lippincott, 1977 and DownEast, 1988
|The Problem with Chickens||New York Times Best Illustrated Book of 2005 
|Days of the Ducklings||Parents' Choice Non-fiction, 2001 
|Jelly Beans for Sale||American Library Association Notable Book, 1997 |
|Nights of the Pufflings||American Library Association Notable Book, 1996 
- "Meet the Author/Photographer Bruce McMillan". Houghton Mifflin Reading. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Biography Bruce McMillan". Scholastic. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Natural Story Teller", Bangor Daily News, Nov. 3, 2001
- "McMillan, Bruce". Maine state library. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Best Illustrated Books". New York Times. November 13, 2005. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "The Problem with Chickens - Fall 2005 Picture Books". Parents' Choice. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Days of the Ducklings - Fall 2001 Non-Fiction". Parents' Choice. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Notable Children's Books, 1997". American Library Association. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "1996 Notable Children's Books". American Library Association. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Nights of the Pufflings - 1995 Picture Books". Parents' Choice. Retrieved 26 February 2013.