Bruce Murray, 12th Duke of Atholl
The Duke of Atholl
|Preceded by||John Murray, 11th Duke of Atholl|
Bruce George Ronald Murray
6 April 1960
Union of South Africa
Bruce George Ronald Murray, 12th Duke of Atholl (born 6 April 1960), is a South African-born hereditary peer in the Peerage of Scotland and Chief of Clan Murray. As Duke of Atholl, he has the right to raise Europe's only legal private army, the Atholl Highlanders, a unique privilege granted to his family by Queen Victoria after visiting Blair Atholl in 1844.
Early life and career
The elder son of John Murray, 11th Duke of Atholl, and Margaret Yvonne née Leach, now styled the Dowager Duchess of Atholl, graduated from Jeppe High School for Boys Johannesburg in 1979. He was educated at Saasveld Forestry College before serving his two years' National Service with the South African Infantry Corps. He is currently a volunteer member of the Transvaal Scottish Regiment, holding the rank of lieutenant. Previously he managed a tea plantation, but then ran a signage business producing signs for commercial buildings. He was commissioned into the Atholl Highlanders in 2000, being appointed as lieutenant colonel. Upon the death of his father on 15 May 2012, he succeeded to all his father's titles, becoming the 12th Duke of Atholl.
Marriage and children
- Michael Bruce John Murray, Marquess of Tullibardine (born in Louis Trichardt, 5 March 1985)
- Lord David Nicholas George Murray (born in Louis Trichardt, 31 January 1986)
- Lady Nicole Murray (born in Duiwelskloof, 11 July 1987); married to Peter Piek.
He married Charmaine Myrna née du Toit in 2009.
- Three Generations of the Atholl family to be on parade at Blair Castle – website VisitScotland Perthshire
- "The Duke of Atholl". The Daily Telegraph. 17 May 2012. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Information on Murray, Bruce George Ronald – website Royal Genealogy Page of the Department of Computer Science, University of Hull
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 133.
- KAOXA'S SHELTER, THE DIGGING STICK, Volume 17, No 1 ISSN 1013-7521 April 2000, Acknowledgements Archived 15 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine – website of the South African Archaeological Society
- Local Marquess presents colours to Her Majesty - www.zoutnet.co.za
- Clan & Septs Archived 23 January 2010 at the Wayback Machine – website of the Clan Murray Society
- Highlander’s Visit (5/29 – 6/7) Archived 30 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine – website of the Atholl 250th Anniversary Committee
- John Murray, the 11th Duke of Atholl, dies in South Africa Archived 20 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine – website of The Courier
- Dukes of Atholl Archived 26 December 2014 at the Wayback Machine – website of Cracroft's Peerage
- Burke's Peerage and Baronetage
- "Amanda-M-Du-plessis – User Trees – Genealogy.com". Familytreemaker.genealogy.com. 12 February 1944. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "South African Settlers". South African Settlers. Retrieved 19 February 2017.