2 October 1938|
Thames, New Zealand
|Died||5 June 2008
|Cause of death||Cancer|
Bruce Purchase (2 October 1938 – 5 June 2008) was a New Zealand-born actor known for his roles on stage and television. Born in Thames, New Zealand, he won a scholarship to study acting in England, training at RADA, and went on to become a founding actor-member of Laurence Olivier's National Theatre. He also performed regularly with the Royal Shakespeare Company.
His TV credits included Callan, The First Churchills, A Picture of Katherine Mansfield, Doomwatch, Fall of Eagles, I, Claudius, The New Avengers, Doctor Who (in the serial The Pirate Planet), Blake's 7, Quatermass and The Tripods. His films included Macbeth (1971), Mary, Queen of Scots (1971), The Optimists of Nine Elms (1973), Soft Beds, Hard Battles (1974), Meetings with Remarkable Men (1979), Pope John Paul II (1984), Wallenberg: A Hero's Story (1985), Playing Away (1987), Lionheart (1987) and Another Life (2001).
- Othello (1965) - Senators-Soldiers-Cypriots
- Macbeth (1971) - Caithness
- Mary, Queen of Scots (1971) - Morton
- The Optimists of Nine Elms (1973) - Policeman
- Soft Beds, Hard Battles (1974) - Colonel Meinertzhagen (uncredited)
- The Quatermass Conclusion (1979) - Tommy Roach
- Meetings with Remarkable Men (1979) - Father Maxim
- The Quiz Kid (1979) - Wally
- Pope John Paul II (1984) - Jerzy Loparicz
- Other Halves (1984) - Irwin
- Wallenberg: A Hero's Story (1985) - Rabbi Mandel
- Playing Away (1987) - Fredrick
- Lionheart (1987) - Simon Nerra
- Freddie as F.R.O.7 (1992) - Additional Voices (voice)
- Richard III (1995) - City Gentleman
- The Sea Change (1998) - Oldberg
- Another Life (2001) - Sir Henry Curtis-Bennett (final film role)
Notes and references
- Strachan, Alan (2008-06-12). "Bruce Purchase: Potent presence on the British stage". The Independent. London: Independent News & Media. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- "Bruce Purchase: character actor, member of the National Theatre company". The Times. London: Times Newspapers. 2008-06-11. Retrieved 2008-06-11.
- The Times obituary puts the date of death at 8 June.
- "RSC actor Bruce Purchase dies at 69". The Press Association. 2008-06-09. Archived from the original on 2008-06-12. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
|This article about a New Zealand television actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|