Bruce Wilkinson is a Christian teacher and author. He was born (circa 1940) in New Jersey and graduated from Northeastern Bible College (B.A. and Th. B.), Dallas Theological Seminary (Th. M.) and Western Conservative Baptist Seminary (D.D.). He served as a college professor at Multnomah School of the Bible in Portland, Oregon, until resigning to launch Walk Thru the Bible in June 1976. He is best known for his best-selling book The Prayer of Jabez in 2000, which sold over 13 million copies. In addition to Dr. Wilkinson's 68 published works (including many New York Times #1 bestsellers, USA Today #1 bestsellers and Gold & Platinum awards), Wilkinson holds the honor of having authored the only book to be named "Book of the Year" two years in a row.
Known for his expertise in fundraising principles as well as his public speaking skills, Wilkinson has raised over $300,000,000 for other ministries, including colleges, seminaries, mission groups, Bible distribution, evangelism, orphan work, food distribution and more.
Walk Thru the Bible is a global, non-denominational Christian organization headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. It has become one of North America's most successful Christian ministries, producing 11,000 seminars for 2 million people. Walk Thru the Bible also distributed 130,000,000 magazines, trained over 100,000 professional teachers and over 30,000 CEO's in growth principles known as "Exponential Growth."
Wilkinson has spoken to more than 400,000 men across America as a Promise Keepers stadium speaker. At the request of Promise Keepers, he developed the widely used video curriculum, Personal Holiness in Times of Temptation, as a part of the "Biblical Manhood" series.
After the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, Wilkinson traveled to Russia to teach in conjunction with the presentation of the Jesus film. Wilkinson served five years as chairman of CoMission, an innovative education ministry in Russia.
In 1998, he founded WorldTeach, a global initiative to develop a Bible teacher for every 50,000 people in every nation of the world.
In 1976, Wilkinson was named Northeastern Bible College Alumnus of the Year and in 1986 he was awarded the Religious Heritage of America Committee's Faith and Freedom Award.
Dream for Africa and Never Ending Gardens
Believing that Africa should be the next focal point for evangelical efforts, Wilkinson moved to Bryanston, Johannesburg, in 2002, and started an organization called Dream for Africa, which included the launch of the Never Ending Gardens. This organization helps fight against the AIDS epidemic in Africa. It sent American, Bible college students and young, African volunteers to 172 high schools. They showed a week-long program of film (Beat the Drum), drama, and music to promote abstinence. Never Ending Gardens recruited thousands of American volunteers to assist with planting gardens in African to help provide sustenance for low-income communities and families.
Teach Every Nation
Wilkinson founded Teach Every Nation (TEN) in 2013 as the culmination of four decades of 'best practices' learned from his teaching, training, and international leadership and ministry. TEN was formed to provide "innovative, practical and culturally relevant training" for pastors and leaders in the Global South (e.g. areas of Africa, Asia, and South/Central America). Training is provided through technology such as satellite simulcasts, as well as in-person courses on TEN's 2,500-acre training campus located on a wild animal reserve in the Waterberg Biosphere of northern South Africa. Tens of thousands of TEN students have been trained in 100 nations. Training is done in English, French, Portuguese, Arabic and Farsi languages.
Bruce and Darlene Wilkinson have three married children and ten grandchildren.
List of books
- Victory Over Temptation
- Walk through the Bible
- Youthwalk Again ISBN 0-310-54601-X
- The Wilkinson & Boa Bible Handbook ISBN 0-7852-4864-1, ISBN 0-7852-4903-6
- Talk Through The Bible ISBN 0-8407-5286-5
- Talk Through the Old Testament
- Talk Through the New Testament
- Talk Through Bible Personalities ISBN 0-9612142-0-1
- 7 Laws of the Learner ISBN 0-88070-464-0
- Almost Every Answer for Practically Any Teacher (Gold Medallion Winner) ISBN 0-88070-473-X
- Personal Holiness in Times of Temptation ISBN 1-56507-943-4
- Experiencing Spiritual Breakthroughs (based on his “The Three Chairs” seminar) ISBN 1-57673-536-2
- 30 Days to Spiritual Breakthroughs ISBN 1-57673-977-5
- The Prayer of Jabez (October 2000) ISBN 1-57673-733-0
- Secrets of the Vine (October 2001) ISBN 1-57673-975-9
- A Life God Rewards (October 2002) ISBN 1-57673-976-7
- Set Apart ISBN 1-59052-071-8
- 30 Days to Discovering Personal Victory Through Holiness ISBN 1-59052-070-X
- The Dream Giver (October 2003) ISBN 1-59052-201-X
- The Dream Giver for Parents (September 2004) ISBN 1-59052-455-1
- Beyond Jabez ISBN 1-59052-367-9
- You Were Born for This (releasing September 15, 2009) - ISBN 978-1-60142-182-1
Wilkinson served on the overview committee for the New King James Version of the Bible, authored the Books of the Bible outlines and co-edited the Bible book introductions for The Open Bible. He is the executive editor of four best-selling Bibles including The Daily Walk Bible (NIV, NL, NKV, RSV), The Closer Walk New Testament (NIV), The Youth Walk Bible (NIV), and The Family Walk Bible (NIV).