Bruce Bueno de Mesquita
Bruce Bueno de Mesquita
|Born||November 24, 1946|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Institutions||New York University, Hoover Institution|
|Notable ideas||Selectorate theory|
Bueno de Mesquita graduated from Stuyvesant High School in 1963, earned his BA degree from Queens College, New York in 1967 and then his MA and PhD from the University of Michigan. He specializes in international relations, foreign policy, and nation building. He is one of the authors of the selectorate theory, and is also the director of New York University's Alexander Hamilton Center for Political Economy.
He has founded a company, Mesquita & Roundell, that specializes in making political and foreign-policy forecasts. Bueno de Mesquita is discussed in an August 16, 2009 Sunday New York Times Magazine article entitled "Can Game Theory Predict When Iran Will Get the Bomb?'" In December 2008 he was also the subject of a History Channel two-hour special entitled "The Next Nostradamus".
- The War Trap. New Haven: Yale University Press. 1981. p. 226. ISBN 0-300-03091-6.
- Forecasting Political Events: The Future of Hong Kong (with David Newman and Alvin Rabushka). New Haven: Yale University Press, 1985. ISBN 9780300042795 OCLC 11970890
- Predicting Politics. Columbus, OH: Ohio State University Press, 2002. ISBN 9780814259849 OCLC 804351067
- The Logic of Political Survival. Cambridge: MIT Press. 2003. p. 480. ISBN 0-262-52440-6. (with Alastair Smith, Randolph M. Siverson, James D. Morrow)
- The Strategy of Campaigning: Lessons from Ronald Reagan and Boris Yeltsin. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. 2007. p. 356. ISBN 978-0-472-03319-5. (with Kiron K. Skinner, Serhiy Kudelia, Condoleezza Rice)
- The Predictioneer's Game: Using the Logic of Brazen Self-Interest to See and Shape the Future. Random House. 2009. p. 272. ISBN 1-4000-6787-1. OCLC 290470064.
- The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics. Random House. 2011. p. 272. ISBN 9781610390446. OCLC 701015473.
- The Spoils of War: Greed, Power, and the Conflicts That Made Or Greatest Presidents". PublicAffairs. 2016. p. 291. ISBN 9781610396622.
Bueno de Mesquita has three children and six grandchildren. His son, Ethan Bueno de Mesquita, is a political scientist working at the Harris School of Public Policy at the University of Chicago.
- Rehmeyer, Julie. "Mathematical Fortune-Telling". ScienceNews. Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- Thompson, Clive (August 12, 2009). "Can Game Theory Predict When Iran Will Get the Bomb?". New York Times. Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- Bruce Bueno de Mesquita's under faculty at NYU
- Bruce Bueno de Mesquita's biography at Hoover
- To See The Future, Use The Logic Of Self-Interest – NPR audio clip
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Bruce Bueno de Mesquita at TED
- The New Nostradamus – on the use by Bruce Bueno de Mesquita of rational choice theory in political forecasting
- Example of Model Applied To Iran’s Nuclear Program
- Roberts, Russ. "Bruce Bueno de Mesquita Podcasts". EconTalk. Library of Economics and Liberty.
- Compilation of criticisms of Bueno de Mesquita's models