Brunei–Russia relations (Russian: Российско-брунейские отношения) is the relationship between the two countries, Brunei and Russia. Brunei maintains an embassy in Moscow, whilst Russia's ambassador to Malaysia is accredited to Brunei as a non-resident ambassador.
Background of Soviet era relations
In 1987, Mikhail Gorbachev called for the establishment of diplomatic relations with Brunei. Although the Soviet ambassador to Singapore attempted to establish said relations with Brunei in 1988, the Sultanate was unprepared to establish relations with the Communist state at the time. On 1 October 1991, Brunei established relations with the Soviet Union.
Post Soviet relations
On 10 June 2005, the Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, made the first official visit to Russia by a head of state of Brunei. According to Gennady Chufrin, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the visit marked a serious step towards the establishment of bilateral relations.
On 1 December 2008, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin signed an order to establish a Russian embassy in Bandar Seri Begawan. Andrei Nesterenko, the spokesman for the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the establishment of a Russian embassy in the Brunei capital would help to intensify issues surrounding the Brunei–Russia relationship.
- In the Shadow of Giants, A. James Gregor, pg 160
- Gorbachev and Southeast Asia By Leszek Buszynski, pg 211
- Политические контакты (in Russian). Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 5 May 2009. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
- "Sultan of Brunei receives Russian president". Interfax at the BBC. 15 November 2000. Retrieved 6 June 2009.
Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has arrived in Brunei for an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit, has met Sultan of Brunei Hassanal Bolkiah in the Nurul Iman Palace. Deputy presidential chief of staff Sergey Prikhodko has told journalists that Putin has invited Hassanal Bolkiah to pay an official visit to Russia. The invitation was accepted with gratitude. He quoted Putin as saying that there is a great potential for economic and ...
- Бруней проявляет заинтересованность в российском оружии
- "Russia to set up embassy in Brunei Darussalam". Bandar Seri Begawan: The Brunei Times. 5 December 2008. Retrieved 7 June 2009.
|This article about foreign relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|