Diplomatic relationship between Pakistan and Brunei are very warm and friendly, this is primarily because both are Muslim countries and member of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation. Pakistan maintains an High commission in Brunei, and Brunei has an embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan. To further foster ties between the 2 countries, Brunei-Pakistan Friendship Association (BPFA) was created in 2008.
Originally Pakistan did not support the non-inclusion of Brunei to the Federation of Malaysia, the other was the separation of Singapore. But later relations been establish in 9 February 1984 when Malaysia establish a relations with Brunei.
Trade links between the 2 countries is small, largely because of Brunei small size. Current trade volume between the two countries stands at US$5 million. To foster trade and investment between the two countries Pakistan-Brunei Joint Investment Company was created in November 2006. Areas like oil and gas sector, real estate, hotel, telecommunication and halal meat projects are some sectors where the two countries can benefit.
Defence co-operation between the two countries remain strong. Brunei Darussalam and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan signed a “Memorandum of Understanding on Defence Cooperation” on 19 May 2004. Pakistan has so far trained up to 100 Bruneian trainees at Pakistani military academies. In Nov 2008 Defence Secretary of Pakistan, Lieutenant General (Rtd) Athar Ali paid an official visit to Brunei to boost defence co-operation between the two countries. In Oct 2010, Pakistan naval Ship (PNS) SAIF docked at Muara Port to celebrate defence relations and goodwill between Brunei and Pakistan.
Pakistan will participate in the third Brunei International Defence Exhibition (BRIDEX 2011), and has invited Brunei to participate in International Defence Exhibition and Seminar (IDEAS 2010). Pakistan has also invited the naval forces of Brunei to participate in Pakistan's multinational naval exercise - Aman.
- HIGH COMMISSION OF PAKISTAN IN BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, BRUNEI
- Brunei-Pakistan association launched.
- "Brunei-Pakistan Relations". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Brunei). Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Trade volume between Pak-Brunei reaches $5m
- Pakistani envoy sees great scope for bilateral trade.
- Brunei & Pakistan Discuss Defence Cooperation
- Historic get-together for officers trained in Pakistan
- Pakistan, Brunei to discuss defence ties
- Pakistan, Brunei Celebrate Defence Ties And Goodwill
- Pakistan to participate in BRIDEX 2011