||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Bruno Barbey is a Moroccan-born French photographer (born 1941). Throughout his four-decade career he has traveled across five continents, photographing many wars.
Life and work
Barbey was born in Morocco and in 1959-1960 he studied photography and graphic arts at the Ecole des Arts et Métiers in Vevey, Switzerland. During the 1960s he was commissioned to photograph European and African countries by Editions Rencontre in Lausanne. In 1964 Barbey began a relationship with Magnum Photos, becoming an Associate member in 1966, and a full member in 1968, at which time he was photographing student riots in Paris. He eventually served as Magnum vice president for Europe in 1978 and 1979 and from 1992-1995 as President of Magnum International.
He spent 1979 to 1981 photographing Poland, resulting in his book Poland. He rejects the label of 'war photographer', although he has covered civil wars in Nigeria, Vietnam, the Middle East, Cambodia, Northern Ireland, Iraq, Kuwait and liberation war in Bangladesh. From 2005 Barbey has, among other work, been pursuing a project on Istanbul.
- French National Order of Merit
- Overseas Press Club Award
- Photojournalism Award, University of Missouri
Publications by Barbey
- Naples', Switzerland: Editions Rencontre,1964
- Camargue, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1964
- Portugal, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1966
- Kenya, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1966
- Koweït, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1967
- Ecosse, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1968
- Ceylan, France: Editions André Barret, 1974
- Iran, Editions Jeune Afrique, 1976
- Nigeria, France: Editions Jeune Afrique, 1978
- Bombay, Netherlands: Time & Life Books, 1979
- Pologne, France: Editions Arthaud, 1982
- Le Gabon, France: Editions du Chêne, 1984
- Portugal, Germany: Hoffmann & Campe, 1988
- Fès, immobile, immortelle, France: Editions Imprimerie Nationale, 1996
- Gens des nuages, France: Editions Stock, 1997
- Mai 68, France: Editions de la Différence, 1998
- Photo Poche, France: Editions Nathan, 1999
- Essaouira, France: Editions du Chêne, 2000
- Les Italiens, France: Editions de la Martinière, 2002
- Maroc, France: Editions de la Martinière, 2003
- 1968, Bruno Barbey, Istanbul, Turkey: Fotografevi, 2008
- Italyanlar / Italians, Turkey: Yapi Kredi Publications, 2008
- Bruno Barbey's Istanbul, Turkey: Yapi Kredi Publications, 2009
Publications with contributions by Barbey
- Magnum Contact Sheets. Edited by Kristen Lubben.
- 1968--Mai 68 (16mm, B&W).
- 1979--3 Jours, 3 Photographes, directed by F. Moscovitz (about Bruno Barbey, Jean Loup Sieff and Robert Doisneau).
- 1988--Assignment in Morocco, BBC, directed by Clem Vallance (in conjunction with centenary of National Geographic).
- 1996--Maroc sans Frontière, directed by Mostafa Bouazzaoui for Moroccan television.
- 2002--Les Italiens, directed by Caroline Thiénot (betanum, 10 min).
- 2003--Panoramiques Maroc, Caroline Thiénot (betanum, 12 min).
- 2005--Grand Angle, 2M, Maroc.
- 2008--Mai 68 vu par Bruno Barbey, Caroline Thienot
Barbey's work is held in the following collection:
- Haluk Dağ, "Bruno Barbey's Istanbul", SkyLife, April 2010. Turkish Airlines. Accessed 2010-10-31.