Bruno Maçães is a Portuguese politician, political scientist, business strategist, and author. He studied at the University of Lisbon and Harvard University, where he wrote his doctoral dissertation under Harvey Mansfield. He is currently a Nonresident Senior Fellow at Hudson Institute in Washington.<refExperts - Bruno Maçães - Hudson Institute</ref>
His tenure as Secretary of State for European Affairs in Portugal took place during the worst period of the country's financial crisis. In 2013 the main Greek newspaper wrote that he was very German in his economic views. He told an audience in London that Germany has a "hypocritical" view to trade negotiations. He was described by Wolfgang Munchau as "reinventing the wheel" after tabling a number of proposals for eurozone reform. In April 2014 he defended an energy pact between the United States and Europe to face the Russian threat. Eventually the idea came to some fruition when Portugal became the first country in Europe to receive LNG cargo from the United States. His strategy was to create an energy revolution and move Europe to the Atlantic. Another of his goals was to craft a new digital strategy for the European Union, more focused on industrial innovation.
He left government in November 2015. He was decorated by the President of Romania.
In an interview with TRT in March 2017 he strongly criticized the Dutch government for its ban on Turkish politicians.
In July 2017 he accused Italy of violating banking union rules.
The Dawn of Eurasia
His book The Dawn of Eurasia, published by Penguin in January 2018, argues that the distinction between Europe and Asia has disappeared. His argument is that it is increasingly difficult to draw a border between the two continents. He has argued that Europe cannot fail to respond to the New Silk Road projected by China. In a polemical paper he accused the European Union of missing the boat on the third globalization. He described the upcoming Belt and Road summit as "just as important as the G20."
In 2018 The Dawn of Eurasia was granted the international Ranald MacDonald Award.
In 2018 he announced in a podcast with Linda Yueh that he was working on a large novel set in the Belt and Road world.
- "Bruno Maçães". Carnegie Europe. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "«Γερμανός» ο Πορτογάλος υφυπουργός Εξωτερικών, Ξενια Κουναλακη | Kathimerini". www.kathimerini.gr. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- Bermingham, Finbarr (2014-11-06). TTIP: Germany Accused of Hypocrisy over Opposition to ISDS Clause. International Business Times. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "Eurointelligence - Bruno Maçães reinvents the wheel". www.eurointelligence.com. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- Maçães, Bruno (Apr 22, 2014). "Send a Message to Putin With a Trans-Atlantic Energy Pact". Retrieved Apr 18, 2020 – via www.wsj.com.
- Cox, Edward. "Portugal to receive first European LNG cargo from US". Icis. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- "Energy revolution from East to West". Jun 4, 2014. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- "A Digital Strategy for Europe |". ecipe.org. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- "Exclusive Interview: Bruno Maçães talks about his impressions of trip to Mariupol". YouTube. 2015-04-28. Retrieved 2020-04-18.
- "BBC World News - HARDtalk, Bruno Macaes". BBC. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- "Ceremonia de remitere a medaliilor pentru înalti oficiali portughezi". Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "TRT World interviews former Portuguese minister Bruno Macaes on Turkey - Netherlands row". newsx.tv. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- Exclusive, Albert Evans (Jul 7, 2017). "'Disrespecting the rules!' Eurozone crisis veteran's fury at Italy's troubling bank rescue". Express.co.uk. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- Maçães, Bruno. "The Dawn of Eurasia". www.penguin.co.uk. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- "Subscribe to read | Financial Times". www.ft.com. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- Maçães, Bruno (Apr 18, 2016). "The return of Eurasia?". New Eastern Europe (2 (21)): 7–11. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020 – via www.ceeol.com.
- "EU needs to pay more attention to China Silk Road project - former minister". Borderlex. Nov 21, 2016. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- Maçães, Bruno. "China's Belt and Road: Destination Europe". Carnegie Europe. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- "China's Belt and Road Forum 'may equal G20 in importance' - World - Chinadaily.com.cn". www.chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- "*The Dawn of Eurasia*". Marginal REVOLUTION. Aug 21, 2017. Retrieved Apr 18, 2020.
- FM, Player. "Bruno Maçães And Linda Yueh On The Chinese World Order Intelligence Squared podcast". player.fm. Retrieved 2019-04-05.