Bruno Migliorini (Italian pronunciation: [ˈbruːno miʎʎoˈriːni]; 19 November 1896 – 18 June 1975) was an Italian linguist and philologist. He was the author of one of the first scientific histories of Italian language and was president of the Accademia della Crusca.
Migliorini was born in Rovigo.
He studied at Ca' Foscari university in Venice, then in the faculty of Letters of the University of Padua. After the Italian defeat in the Battle of Caporetto (1917), his family was forced to move to Rome. There, at the University La Sapienza, he met his masters, the philologists Ernesto Monaci and Cesare De Lollis, and, from 1920, collaborated to La Cultura, a journal whose founders included De Lollis himself and Giovanni Gentile.
He was chief editor of the Enciclopedia Italiana from 1930 to 1933, when he succeeded Angelo Monteverdi as professor of Romance languages and literatures at the University of Fribourg, where Migliorini remained until 1938. Thenceforth he was the first professor of History of Italian Language, a newly created position at the University of Florence, which he kept until 1967. In 1939, together with Giacomo Devoto, he founded the journal Lingua nostra ("Our Language").
He died in Florence on June 18, 1975.
- Nencioni, Giovanni (1976). Bruno Migliorini. Rome: Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei. ISBN 978-88-218-0271-3.
- Canepari, Luciano. "Migliorini". DiPI Online - Dizionario di Pronuncia Italiana (in Italian). Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Storia della lingua italiana, Florence, Sansoni, 1960.
- "Neopurismo e glottotecnica". Retrieved 31 January 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Manuale di Esperanto" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 February 2013. Retrieved 2 February 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Migliorini, uomo linguista ed esperantista". Retrieved 26 April 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Migliorini, Bruno; Tagliavini, Carlo; Fiorelli, Piero (31 January 2008). Tommaso Francesco Bórri (ed.). "Dizionario italiano multimediale e multilingue d'ortografia e di pronunzia". dizionario.rai.it (in Italian). Rai Eri. Retrieved 26 April 2018.