|Died||21 June 2014 (aged 91)|
|Alma mater||University of Rome|
|Known for||Wess-Zumino model for supersymmetry|
New York University
Bruno Zumino (April 28, 1923 − June 21, 2014) was an Italian theoretical physicist and faculty member at the University of California, Berkeley. He obtained his DSc degree from the University of Rome in 1945.
He was renowned for his rigorous proof of the CPT theorem with Gerhart Lüders; his pioneering systematization of effective chiral Lagrangians; the discoveries, with Julius Wess, of the Wess–Zumino model, the first four-dimensional supersymmetric quantum field theory with Bose-Fermi degeneracy, and initiator of the field of supersymmetric radiative restrictions; a concise formulation of supergravity; and for his deciphering of structured flavor-chiral anomalies, codified in the Wess–Zumino–Witten model of conformal field theory.
- 1985 Membership in the National Academy of Sciences
- 1987 Dirac Medal of the ICTP
- 1988 Dannie Heineman Prize for Mathematical Physics
- 1989 Max Planck Medal
- 1992 Wigner Medal
- 1992 Humboldt Research Award
- 1999 Gian Carlo Wick Commemorative Gold Medal
- 2005 Enrico Fermi Prize of the Italian Physical Society
- New York Times obituary, July 5, 2014
- Sanders, Robert. "Bruno Zumino, an architect of supersymmetry, dies at 91". Newscenter.berkeley.edu. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- Lüders, G.; Zumino, B. (1958). "Connection between Spin and Statistics". Physical Review. 110 (6): 1450. Bibcode:1958PhRv..110.1450L. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.110.1450.
- Coleman, S.; Wess, J.; Zumino, B. (1969). "Structure of Phenomenological Lagrangians. I". Physical Review. 177 (5): 2239. Bibcode:1969PhRv..177.2239C. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.177.2239.; Callan, C.; Coleman, S.; Wess, J.; Zumino, B. (1969). "Structure of Phenomenological Lagrangians. II". Physical Review. 177 (5): 2247. Bibcode:1969PhRv..177.2247C. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.177.2247.
- Wess, J.; Zumino, B. (1974). "Supergauge transformations in four dimensions" (PDF). Nuclear Physics B. 70: 39. Bibcode:1974NuPhB..70...39W. doi:10.1016/0550-3213(74)90355-1.
- Deser, S., & Zumino, B. (1976). "Consistent supergravity", Physics Letters B62 335-337. doi:10.1016/0370-2693(76)90089-7
- Wess, J.; Zumino, B. (1971). "Consequences of anomalous ward identities" (PDF). Physics Letters B. 37: 95. Bibcode:1971PhLB...37...95W. doi:10.1016/0370-2693(71)90582-X.
- Zumino's faculty page at Berkeley
- Zumino's research page at Berkeley
- Biographical outline at the APS
- Scientific publications of Bruno Zumino on INSPIRE-HEP
|This article about a physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Italian scientist article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|