28 April 1923|
|Died||21 June 2014
New York University
|Alma mater||University of Rome|
|Known for||Wess-Zumino model for supersymmetry|
Bruno Zumino (April 28, 1923 − June 21, 2014) was an Italian theoretical physicist and emeritus faculty at the University of California, Berkeley. He obtained his DSc degree from the University of Rome in 1945.
He was renowned for his rigorous proof of the CPT theorem with Gerhart Lüders; his pioneering systematization of effective chiral Lagrangians; the discoveries, with Julius Wess, of the Wess–Zumino model, widely viewed as the first four-dimensional supersymmetric quantum field theory outside the Soviet Union, and initiator of the field of supersymmetric radiative restrictions; and for his deciphering of structured flavor-chiral anomalies, codified in the Wess–Zumino–Witten model of conformal field theory.
- 1985 Membership in the National Academy of Sciences
- 1987 Dirac Prize
- 1988 Dannie Heineman Prize for Mathematical Physics
- 1989 Max Planck medal
- 1992 Wigner medal
- 1992 Humboldt Research Award
- 1999 Gian Carlo Wick Commemorative Gold Medal
- 2005 Enrico Fermi Prize of the Italian Physical Society
- Sanders, Robert. "Bruno Zumino, an architect of supersymmetry, dies at 91". Newscenter.berkeley.edu. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- Lüders, G.; Zumino, B. (1958). "Connection between Spin and Statistics". Physical Review 110 (6): 1450. Bibcode:1958PhRv..110.1450L. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.110.1450.
- Coleman, S.; Wess, J.; Zumino, B. (1969). "Structure of Phenomenological Lagrangians. I". Physical Review 177 (5): 2239. Bibcode:1969PhRv..177.2239C. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.177.2239.; Callan, C.; Coleman, S.; Wess, J.; Zumino, B. (1969). "Structure of Phenomenological Lagrangians. II". Physical Review 177 (5): 2247. Bibcode:1969PhRv..177.2247C. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.177.2247.
- Wess, J.; Zumino, B. (1974). "Supergauge transformations in four dimensions". Nuclear Physics B 70: 39. Bibcode:1974NuPhB..70...39W. doi:10.1016/0550-3213(74)90355-1.
- Wess, J.; Zumino, B. (1971). "Consequences of anomalous ward identities". Physics Letters B 37: 95. Bibcode:1971PhLB...37...95W. doi:10.1016/0370-2693(71)90582-X.
- Zumino's faculty page at Berkeley
- Zumino's research page at Berkeley
- Biographical outline at the APS
- Scientific publications of Bruno Zumino on INSPIRE-HEP
|This article about a physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Italian scientist article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|