Brunswick West, Victoria
|Population||14,746 (2021 census)|
|• Density||4,610/km2 (11,930/sq mi)|
|Area||3.2 km2 (1.2 sq mi)|
|Location||6 km (4 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Moreland|
Brunswick West is an inner suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 km north from Melbourne's central business district, located within the City of Moreland local government area. Brunswick West recorded a population of 14,746 at the 2021 census.
Brunswick West adjoins Parkville to the south, Moonee Ponds at the Moonee Ponds Creek to the west, Pascoe Vale South and Coburg along Moreland Road to the north, and Brunswick along Grantham, Pearson and Shamrock Streets to the east. Parts of the suburb also borders the Tullamarine Freeway.
Brunswick West is primarily a residential suburb with some light industry.
Brunswick West Post Office opened on 10 March 1913. There is a Moonee Vale Licensed Post Office at 164 Melville Road Brunswick West.
In Brunswick West 59.7% of people were born in Australia. The most common countries of birth were Italy 4.3%, India 3.2%, Greece 3.0%, England 2.2% and China (excludes SARs and Taiwan) 1.9%.
59.9% of people only spoke English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Italian 6.9%, Greek 6.2%, Arabic 3.0%, Mandarin 2.2% and Spanish 1.1%.
Grantham Street and Melville Road are the two main commercial activity centres in Brunswick West, comprising small-scale traditional shopping strips, with a small shopping centre (Union Square) on Grantham Street.
Tram route 58 provides the main north–south link through the suburb and to the city, with a route that runs along Melville Road, Dawson Street and Grantham Street.
There are several bus routes on the main east–west streets:
- 503 Essendon – East Brunswick via Brunswick West, Brunswick, Anstey RS (Monday to Saturday). Operated by Moonee Valley Coaches. Albion Street
- 504 Moonee Ponds Junction– Clifton Hill via Brunswick West, Brunswick, Carlton North, Fitzroy North (Monday to Saturday). Operated by Dysons. Brunswick Road (From May 2011, now includes to the Sunday timetable).
- 506 Moonee Ponds Junction – Westgarth via Brunswick West, Brunswick, Fitzroy North, Northcote (Monday to Saturday). Operated by Moonee Valley Coaches. Dawson, Pearson, Smith and Allard Streets
- 508 Moonee Ponds Junction – Alphington via Brunswick West, Brunswick RS, Northcote, Fairfield (every day). Operated by Dysons. Victoria Street
- 509 Hope Street – Sydney Road (Monday to Saturday), Hope Street and Melville Road. Operated by Dysons to Barkly Square Shopping Centre via Brunswick station).
- 510 Essendon – Ivanhoe via Brunswick West, Moreland RS, Thornbury, Fairfield (every day). Operated by Moreland Buslines. Moreland Road
The largest area of public open space is formed by the reservations along the Moonee Ponds Creek, which run adjacent to the Tullamarine Freeway. Dunstan Reserve, in the suburb's north, has two ovals, and there are several smaller reserves distributed evenly through the residential area.
The central section of Brunswick West also benefits from the adjacent Brunswick Central Parklands which run along the eastern boundary of Brunswick West between Hope Street and Dawson Street.
- City of Brunswick – Brunswick West was previously within this former local government area.
- Brunswick Cricket Club – Home ground is in Brunswick West.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (28 June 2022). "Brunswick West (Suburbs and Localities)". 2021 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2 July 2022.
- Phoenix Auctions History, Post Office List, retrieved 7 April 2021
- Brunswick South-West Primary School
- Brunswick North-West Primary School
- St. Josephs Catholic School
Media related to Brunswick West, Victoria at Wikimedia Commons