Brunswick West, Victoria
|• Density||4,420/km2 (11,460/sq mi)|
|Area||3.2 km2 (1.2 sq mi)|
|Location||6 km (4 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Moreland|
Brunswick West is an inner suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 km north from Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the City of Moreland. At the 2016 Census, Brunswick West had a population of 14,159.
Brunswick West adjoins Parkville to the south, Moonee Ponds at the Moonee Ponds Creek to the west, Pascoe Vale South and Coburg along Moreland Road to the north, and Brunswick along Grantham, Pearson and Shamrock Streets to the east. Parts of the suburb also borders the Tullamarine Freeway.
Brunswick West is primarily a residential suburb with some light industry.
Brunswick West Post Office opened on 10 March 1913. There is a Moonee Valley Licensed Post Office at 164 Melville Road Brunswick West.
In Brunswick West 59.7% of people were born in Australia. The most common countries of birth were Italy 4.3%, India 3.2%, Greece 3.0%, England 2.2% and China (excludes SARs and Taiwan) 1.9%.
59.9% of people only spoke English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Italian 6.9%, Greek 6.2%, Arabic 3.0%, Mandarin 2.2% and Spanish 1.1%.
Grantham Street and Melville Road are the two main commercial activity centres in Brunswick West, comprising small-scale traditional shopping strips, with a small shopping centre (Union Square) in Grantham Street.
Tram route 58 provides the main north-south link through the suburb and to the City, with a route that runs along Grantham Street, Dawson Street and Melville Road.
There are several bus routes on the main east-west streets:
- 503 Essendon – East Brunswick via Brunswick West, Brunswick, Anstey RS (Monday to Saturday). Operated by Moonee Valley Coaches. Albion Street
- 504 Moonee Ponds Junction– Clifton Hill via Brunswick West, Brunswick, Carlton North, Fitzroy North (Monday to Saturday). Operated by Dyson's Bus Services. Brunswick Road (From May 2011, now includes to the Sunday timetable).
- 506 Moonee Ponds Junction – Westgarth via Brunswick West, Brunswick, Fitzroy North, Northcote (Monday to Saturday). Operated by Moonee Valley Coaches. Dawson, Pearson, Smith and Allard Streets
- 508 Moonee Ponds Junction – Alphington via Brunswick West, Brunswick RS, Northcote, Fairfield (every day). Operated by Dyson's Bus Services. Victoria Street
- 509 Hope Street – Sydney Road (Monday to Saturday), Hope Street and Melville Road. Operated by Dyson's Bus Services to Barkly Square Shopping Centre via Brunswick station).
- 510 Essendon – Ivanhoe via Brunswick West, Moreland RS, Thornbury, Fairfield (every day). Operated by Moreland Buslines. Moreland Road
The largest area of public open space is formed by the reservations along the Moonee Ponds Creek, which run adjacent to the Tullamarine Freeway. Dunstan Reserve, in the suburb's north, has two ovals, and there are several smaller reserves distributed evenly through the residential area.
- City of Brunswick - A former Local Government Area which Brunswick West was a part of.
Media related to Brunswick West, Victoria at Wikimedia Commons