Brush Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Brush Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio|
Location of Brush Creek Township in Jefferson County
|• Total||23.7 sq mi (61.3 km2)|
|• Land||23.6 sq mi (61.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,266 ft (386 m)|
|• Density||19.7/sq mi (7.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086376|
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township, Columbiana County - north
- Yellow Creek Township, Columbiana County - northeast
- Saline Township - southeast
- Ross Township - south
- Springfield Township - southwest
- Fox Township, Carroll County - northwest
No municipalities are located in Brush Creek Township.
Name and history
Brush Creek Township was organized in the 1830s. It was named from the Brush Creek which runs through it.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Doyle, Joseph Beatty (1910). 20th Century History of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company. p. 535.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.