This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Brutal Truth performs at Hole in the Sky in 2008
|Origin||Rochester, New York, United States|
|Genres||Grindcore, death metal|
|Years active||1990–1999, 2006–2014|
|Labels||Earache, Relapse, Deaf American, Relativity|
|Associated acts||Lethargy, Nuclear Assault, Total Fucking Destruction, Exit-13, Venomous Concept, United Forces, S.O.D.|
Brutal Truth was an American grindcore band from Rochester, New York, formed by ex-Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, and Stormtroopers of Death bass guitarist Dan Lilker in 1990. The group disbanded in 1999, but reformed in 2006 and continued to release music until 2014.
Brutal Truth was formed in 1990 in [New York City, New York]. The band was originally signed to Earache Records, on which they released two albums, Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses and Need to Control, as well as an EP entitled Perpetual Conversion, and 7" singles for the songs "Ill Neglect" and "Godplayer". During this time, music videos were made for the songs "Ill Neglect", "Collateral Damage" and "Godplayer". Brutal Truth were frustrated with Earache Records and switched to Relapse Records, known for its roster of grindcore acts, with whom they stayed until the band's demise.
With Relapse, they released the mini album Kill Trend Suicide, a full-length release entitled Sounds of the Animal Kingdom and a double CD live album called Goodbye Cruel World. The band has also released many split 7" singles on smaller labels, with most of these being out of print and difficult to find. The songs from these 7" singles were collected on the second disc of Goodbye Cruel World.
In 2001, the Guinness Book of Records awarded Brutal Truth the record for "shortest music video" for their video "Collateral Damage", which is 2.18 seconds long and consists of 48 still images in rapid succession followed by a clip of an explosion.
Drummer Richard Hoak also provides vocals and drums for a project titled Total Fucking Destruction. Kevin Sharp released an album with Venomous Concept in 2004, a hardcore punk band featuring members from The Melvins and Napalm Death. He was also a member of Australian grind band Damaged for a little over a year in 1999. He is also currently involved with the Atlanta-based hardcore-metal, grindcore band, Primate, with guitarist Bill Kelliher from Mastodon. Dan Lilker now plays for a host of bands and is currently bassist for the re-united Nuclear Assault.
Brutal Truth re-formed in 2006 with three-quarters of the final lineup returning (Lilker, Hoak and Sharp); Erik Burke (of Lethargy) replaced Brent McCarty on guitar.
On July 8, 2008, four new Brutal Truth tracks were released on the This Comp Kills Fascists compilation. This is the first new material from the band in almost ten years.
On January 21, 2009, it was announced that Brutal Truth had finished recording a new album, entitled Evolution Through Revolution. It was released on April 14 in North America, April 17 in Germany and on April 20 worldwide. The band have also made the entire album available via streaming from their website. A video for "Sugardaddy/Branded" was released on July 17, 2009.
On September 27, 2011, Brutal Truth released End Time on Relapse. In 2012, the band participated in the Lausanne Underground Film and Music Festival, performing material composed by Robert Piotrowicz. In October 2012, Dan O'Hare took over guitar duties. Brutal Truth will release a split with Bastard Noise on November 11, 2013.
On January 10, 2014, Lilker announced that he would be retiring from being a full-time recording and touring musician on October 18, 2014, which was his 50th birthday. As a result, Brutal Truth disbanded on this day.
- Kevin Sharp – vocals (1990–1998, 2006–2014)
- Dan Lilker – bass guitar, backing vocals (1990–1998, 2006–2014)
- Brent "Gurn" McCarty – guitars (1990–1998)
- Scott Lewis – drums (1990–1993)
- Richard Hoak – drums (1994–1998, 2006–2014)
- Jody Roberts – guitars (2006–2007)
- Erik Burke – guitars (2007–2013)
- Dan O'Hare – guitars (2013–2014)
- Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses (1992, Earache Records)
- Need to Control (1994, Earache Records)
- Kill Trend Suicide (1996, Relapse Records)
- Sounds of the Animal Kingdom (1997, Relapse Records)
- Evolution Through Revolution (2009, Relapse Records)
- End Time (2011, Relapse Records)
- The Birth of Ignorance demo (1990)
- Ill Neglect (1992, Earache Records)
- Perpetual Conversion (1993, Earache Records)
- Godplayer (1994, Earache Records)
- Machine Parts +4 (1996, Relapse Records)
- Split 7"s 7" release with the songs from the split with Converge on one side and the songs from the split with Violent Society on the other side (2008, Relapse Records)
- For the Ugly and Unwanted – This Is Grindcore (2009, Season of Mist)
- split with Spazz (1996, Bovine Records)
- split with Rupture (1997, Relapse Records)
- split with Converge (1997, Hydra Head Records)
- split with Melvins (1997, Reptile Records)
- split with Violent Society (1997, Relapse Records)
- split with Narcosis/Total Fucking Destruction (2007, Calculated Risk Records)
- The Axiom of Post Inhumanity split with Bastard Noise (2013, Relapse Records)
- Goodbye Cruel World (compilation of live material and rarities) (1999, Relapse Records)
- For Drug Crazed Grindfreaks Only! Live at Noctum Studios + 1 (2008, Relapse Records)
- This Comp Kills Fascists Vol. 1 (2008, Relapse Records)
- "Brutal Truth Return To Kills Fascists - antiMUSIC News". Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "BRUTAL TRUTH Completes Work On New Album". Blabbermouth.net.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-07-19. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- "Brutal Truth - New Song Online". Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "Interview #6 & live Brutal Truth & Robert Piotrowicz". Perfect test site. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- Relapse Records. "Brutal Truth - BRUTAL TRUTH: Announce European Tour Dates + Festival Appearances, Split with Bastard Noise coming soon via Relapse Records - Relapse Records : Death Metal, Grindcore, Extreme Metal CDs, DVDs, Vinyl, T-Shirts, Hoodies and merchandise". Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "BRUTAL TRUTH And BASTARD NOISE Team Up For Split Release". Blabbermouth.net.
- "BRUTAL TRUTH/Ex-ANTHRAX Bassist DAN LILKER To 'Retire' From Being Full-Time Musician". Blabbermouth.net.
- "BRUTAL TRUTH: Another New Song Posted Online". Blabbermouth.net.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brutal Truth.|