1964 (age 51–52)
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
Bryan Kest is a prominent American yoga teacher. He is recognized as a creator of Power Yoga, and is the founder of Santa Monica Power Yoga, based in Santa Monica, California. He has led yoga classes, retreats and workshops worldwide, and has been credited with pioneering the practice of donation-based yoga in the United States.
Kest was born in Detroit, Michigan in 1964. He began practicing yoga in 1979, at the insistence of his father, a physician. While still a teenager, Kest studied in Hawaii with David Williams, who brought Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga  from India to the United States.
In 1983, Kest traveled to Mysore, India, to study with K. Pattabhi Jois, the founder of the Ashtanga system of yoga. Kest remained in Mysore for a year before he returned to the United States, moving to Los Angeles, California, where he studied holistic health and nutrition at Ryokan College. Additionally, Kest was a yoga therapist at Esteem, a Santa Monica treatment center for people with eating disorders.
Kest began teaching in Los Angeles in 1985, and founded Santa Monica Power Yoga in 1995.
Kest incorporates meditation into his teaching and his teacher training, and has studied Vipassanā meditation with S.N. Goenka. Kest’s philosophy regarding donation-based classes is based partially on the principles of Vipassana meditation.
- Pizer, Anne. "Power Yoga from About.com". Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- "Schott's Vocabulary, New York Times". The New York Times. 11 February 2010. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Bryan Kest Workshops and Retreats". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Katz, Dani. "Best Yogi For All, LA Weekly". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Profile at LA Yoga Magazine". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Ashtanga Yoga" Check
|url=value (help). Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "David Williams, Ashtanga Yogi". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Ashtanga Yoga Institute". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Self, Philip. "Interview With Bryan Kest at YogiSource". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Schwartz, Doris. "Santa Monica Power Yoga at YogiTimes". Retrieved 7 February 2013.